2016 In Context: Donald Trump's Best - And Worst - Moments in Public Servicetags: presidency, elections, Voting, Clinton, Trump
Gil Troy, professor of history at McGill University, is the author of The Age of Clinton: America in the 1990s, published by St. Martin’s Press. His next book will update Arthur Hertzberg’s The Zionist Idea. Follow on Twitter @GilTroy.
Click HERE for more installments of 2016 In Context: Gil Troy's commentary on the closing days of the election.
Three weeks from today, Americans finally will have a chance to vote for president of the United States -- hundreds of other offices on ballots across the country. As a presidential historian who has written histories of presidential campaigning, of various presidents, of First Ladies, including Hillary Clinton when she was in that symbolic role, and, most recently, of the Clintons and the 1990s in The Age of Clinton: America in the 1990s, every day until Election Day I will post an article putting this election in historical context, trying to explain this wild and wacky race using history as our guide. So here it goes, with hashtag #2016incontext
Having looked back at the 1990s, listing the ten best and ten worst Clinton moments in public service, let's look at Hillary Clinton's rival, Donald Trump through a similar lens.
TRUMP'S BEST MOMENTS IN PUBLIC SERVICE
1. In 1986, after
years of delays and cost overruns, Donald Trump stepped in and promised to rebuild Wollman skating rink in Central Park.
Trump embarrassed city officials and New York's sclerotic bureaucracy by
coming in under budget and
in less time than expected.
Yes, nothing else! He has no real resume in public service, never having run for office before.
TRUMP'S WORST MOMENTS IN PUBLIC SERVICE
1. In 2015 and
2016, facing an electorate that is far more diverse than the one he was born into,
Donald Trump nevertheless makes a series of statements that offended various
groups, fueling a nasty, divisive presidential campaign.
10. You get the point.... (note the one advantage here -- no experience in public service, no harm done til now!)
comments powered by Disqus
- Did Squanto meet Pocahontas in London?
- Thanksgiving: Early Colonists Ate Turkey... But Also Horses, Rats And Snakes, Archaeologists Say
- Sources: McMaster Mocked Trump’s Intelligence at a Private Dinner
- The JFK assassination files lead back to Seattle
- Princeton investigates its connection to slavery at a two-day symposium
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race
- Heather Ann Thompson says what went on at Attica is worse than we thought
- Princeton’s Jan T. Gross warns that Poland’s showing signs of turning decisively in a fascist direction