comments powered by Disqus
Ralph E. Luker - 8/28/2005
Adam, Clearly KC speaks for himself, but as I look back over the piece at IHE I can't see that he would object to your observation. Calling it "intellectual diversity" was my choice for the post at Cliopatria, not his. I do think that there is broader ground for you and KC to agree on than you might initially think. Much of your objection to the arrangements at your undergraduate school had to do with the very lack of intellectual or ideological diversity that KC is talking about, didn't it? The only difference I can see is that the school had the kind of tilt to the Right that KC sees as a tilt to the Left in major institutions across the country.
Adam Kotsko - 8/27/2005
Why not just call it "ideological diversity" or "political diversity," since, you know, that's what he's actually talking about?
Sherman Jay Dorn - 8/27/2005
I need to reread the Forum pieces, because while I read the first article when it came out, I only recall it vaguely (and while it was better than the party-registration things, I don't recall being terribly impressed by it).
My impression is that KC was picking the more extreme responses by academicsnot quite a straw-man argument, but not exactly the most serious or productive way to address the issue. So what if Grover Furr doesn't quite get it? That doesn't mean that the opposite point is correct.
- A New Target for Old Spies: Congress
- Antigua and Barbuda Asks Harvard University for Slavery Reparations
- Historian: Nixon DID contest the 1960 election
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades