comments powered by Disqus
Ralph E. Luker - 8/28/2005
Adam, Clearly KC speaks for himself, but as I look back over the piece at IHE I can't see that he would object to your observation. Calling it "intellectual diversity" was my choice for the post at Cliopatria, not his. I do think that there is broader ground for you and KC to agree on than you might initially think. Much of your objection to the arrangements at your undergraduate school had to do with the very lack of intellectual or ideological diversity that KC is talking about, didn't it? The only difference I can see is that the school had the kind of tilt to the Right that KC sees as a tilt to the Left in major institutions across the country.
Adam Kotsko - 8/27/2005
Why not just call it "ideological diversity" or "political diversity," since, you know, that's what he's actually talking about?
Sherman Jay Dorn - 8/27/2005
I need to reread the Forum pieces, because while I read the first article when it came out, I only recall it vaguely (and while it was better than the party-registration things, I don't recall being terribly impressed by it).
My impression is that KC was picking the more extreme responses by academicsnot quite a straw-man argument, but not exactly the most serious or productive way to address the issue. So what if Grover Furr doesn't quite get it? That doesn't mean that the opposite point is correct.
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- In Hiroshima 71 years after first atomic strike, Obama calls for end of nuclear weapons
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize