Abe Lincoln is a Filthy Traitor!
The University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg Public Policy Center's FlackCheck.org has just made my month.
They've applied the art of the modern political attack ad to Abraham Lincoln's 1864 presidential campaign:
What's truly great about the video is that it illustrates just how partisan the media really was before the consolidation of the media establishment in the twentieth century, and how we've essentially come full circle in our political rhetoric. The Illinois State Register calling Abraham Lincoln "a second Benedict Arnold" for his refusal to support the Mexican-American War seems to me to in roughly the same ballpark (albeit worse) than Rick Santorum saying JFK makes him want to "throw up."
Check out the whole series of attack ads (ten so far!) at FlackCheck.org.
comments powered by Disqus
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Trump Recording Narrows Divide on Sexual Assault
- SUNY professor says Trump win at least 87 percent certain; other polls 'bunk'
- Petition Started to Include Clarence Thomas in National African American Museum
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller