Abe Lincoln is a Filthy Traitor!
The University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg Public Policy Center's FlackCheck.org has just made my month.
They've applied the art of the modern political attack ad to Abraham Lincoln's 1864 presidential campaign:
What's truly great about the video is that it illustrates just how partisan the media really was before the consolidation of the media establishment in the twentieth century, and how we've essentially come full circle in our political rhetoric. The Illinois State Register calling Abraham Lincoln "a second Benedict Arnold" for his refusal to support the Mexican-American War seems to me to in roughly the same ballpark (albeit worse) than Rick Santorum saying JFK makes him want to "throw up."
Check out the whole series of attack ads (ten so far!) at FlackCheck.org.
comments powered by Disqus
- Why Putin Isn’t Celebrating the Bolshevik Revolution
- Trump Embraces ‘Enemy of the People,’ a Phrase With a Fraught History
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write
- French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79