Abe Lincoln is a Filthy Traitor!
The University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg Public Policy Center's FlackCheck.org has just made my month.
They've applied the art of the modern political attack ad to Abraham Lincoln's 1864 presidential campaign:
What's truly great about the video is that it illustrates just how partisan the media really was before the consolidation of the media establishment in the twentieth century, and how we've essentially come full circle in our political rhetoric. The Illinois State Register calling Abraham Lincoln "a second Benedict Arnold" for his refusal to support the Mexican-American War seems to me to in roughly the same ballpark (albeit worse) than Rick Santorum saying JFK makes him want to "throw up."
Check out the whole series of attack ads (ten so far!) at FlackCheck.org.
comments powered by Disqus
- Middle Tenn. State President Wants to Strip Confederate General’s Name From Building
- Trump will get more GOP primary votes than anyone in history (because more people are voting)
- Labour Party suspends former Mayor of London for implying Hitler supported Zionism
- At Virginia home of President Monroe, a sizable revision of history
- Thirty Years After Chernobyl, Debate Rages About Nuclear Power
- The Unconference Movement Grows – And Historians Are Taking the Lead
- New appeal to "Bring Back Military History"
- Former secretary of state Henry Kissinger discusses his controversial career
- Annette Gordon-Reed subjects herself to Reddit, the “anything-goes” social media website
- Historian Nick Turse says the Pentagon has blacklisted him for making multiple FOIA requests