More Noted Things
For the latest on the Irish Republican Army/Boston College oral history scandal, see: "Called to Account," Chris Bray, 26 February; Questions over exactly who made money from the book ‘Voices from the Grave'," RTE radio, 25 February; transcript, Boston College Subpeona News, 26 February; Travis Anderson, "2 at BC profited from book based on Troubles tapes," Boston Globe, 27 February; and Ed Moloney, "RTE Exposes Shenanigans And Falsehoods At Boston College," The Broken Elbow, 28 February.
Toby Wilkinson reviews Joyce Tyldesley's Tutankhamen's Curse: The developing history of an Egyptian king for the Guardian, 24 February.
Christopher Caldwell, "Bring Out the Spanish Tickler," Literary Review, February, reviews Cullen Murphy's God's Jury: The Inquisition and the Making of the Modern World.
Richard S. Wortman, "Great Catherine's Many Dimensions," National Interest, 28 February, reviews Robert K. Massie's Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman.
Kathryn Hughes reviews Peter Ackroyd's Wilkie Collins for the Guardian, 22 February.
Paul Bew, "One Day in Derry," Literary Review, February, reviews Douglas Murray's Bloody Sunday: Truths, Lies and the Saville Inquiry.
Michael Korda, "Peter Caddick-Adams's Dual Biography of Rommel and Montgomery Is Doubly Good," Daily Beast, 28 February, reviews Caddick-Adams's Monty and Rommel -- Parallel Lives.
Joshua Yaffa, "The Indignity of Labor," The Book, 28 February, reviews Fyodor Vasilevich Mochulsky's Gulag Boss: A Soviet Memoir, trans. & ed. by Deborah Kaple.
Donald Rayfield, "Menace in Minsk," Literary Review, February, reviews Andrew Wilson's Belarus: The Last European Dictatorship.
Marc Parry, "A Digital Humanist Puts New Tools in the Hands of Scholars," CHE, 26 February, features GMU's Dan Cohen.
Michael Kazin, "Why Don't Liberals Write Big Books Any More?" TNR, 28 February, asks where are today's James Baldwins, Rachel Carsons, Michael Harringtons, and Jane Jacobses.
comments powered by Disqus
- Bozeman schools prefer kids in class on MLK Day
- Universities across the country are facing up to their past association with slavery
- Trump Budget Proposes Devastating Cuts to Federal History, Archival & Education Programs
- Alabama governor signs law giving thousands of felons their right to vote back
- Jerusalem Post recalls history of the Six-Day War
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?