More Noted Things
For the latest on the Irish Republican Army/Boston College oral history scandal, see: "Called to Account," Chris Bray, 26 February; Questions over exactly who made money from the book ‘Voices from the Grave'," RTE radio, 25 February; transcript, Boston College Subpeona News, 26 February; Travis Anderson, "2 at BC profited from book based on Troubles tapes," Boston Globe, 27 February; and Ed Moloney, "RTE Exposes Shenanigans And Falsehoods At Boston College," The Broken Elbow, 28 February.
Toby Wilkinson reviews Joyce Tyldesley's Tutankhamen's Curse: The developing history of an Egyptian king for the Guardian, 24 February.
Christopher Caldwell, "Bring Out the Spanish Tickler," Literary Review, February, reviews Cullen Murphy's God's Jury: The Inquisition and the Making of the Modern World.
Richard S. Wortman, "Great Catherine's Many Dimensions," National Interest, 28 February, reviews Robert K. Massie's Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman.
Kathryn Hughes reviews Peter Ackroyd's Wilkie Collins for the Guardian, 22 February.
Paul Bew, "One Day in Derry," Literary Review, February, reviews Douglas Murray's Bloody Sunday: Truths, Lies and the Saville Inquiry.
Michael Korda, "Peter Caddick-Adams's Dual Biography of Rommel and Montgomery Is Doubly Good," Daily Beast, 28 February, reviews Caddick-Adams's Monty and Rommel -- Parallel Lives.
Joshua Yaffa, "The Indignity of Labor," The Book, 28 February, reviews Fyodor Vasilevich Mochulsky's Gulag Boss: A Soviet Memoir, trans. & ed. by Deborah Kaple.
Donald Rayfield, "Menace in Minsk," Literary Review, February, reviews Andrew Wilson's Belarus: The Last European Dictatorship.
Marc Parry, "A Digital Humanist Puts New Tools in the Hands of Scholars," CHE, 26 February, features GMU's Dan Cohen.
Michael Kazin, "Why Don't Liberals Write Big Books Any More?" TNR, 28 February, asks where are today's James Baldwins, Rachel Carsons, Michael Harringtons, and Jane Jacobses.
comments powered by Disqus
- Letters collection offers unique glimpse into ordeal of Australian aborigines
- War, More Than ISIS, Is Destroying Syria's Ancient Sites
- Pew Poll: Trust in government is at historic lows
- If "The Donald" Said It Happened, It Happened! And Don't You Forget It!
- Solved: the mystery of Britain’s Bronze Age mummies
- Anne Frank Faced Challenges Similar to Syrian Refugees, Richard Breitman Says
- Douglass North, Nobel Prize-winning economics historian, dies at 95
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project