Modern History Notes
"A Most Welcome Development," Chris Bray, 21 February, and Ted Folkman, "Breaking: BC Appeals In The Belfast Project Case," Letters Blogatory, 21 February, have the latest on the legal issues in the Boston College/Irish Republican Army oral history controversy. See also: Peter Monaghan, "'Our Storehouse of Knowledge About Social Movements ... Is Going to Be Left Bare'," CHE, 19 February; and "Statement by the Council of the American Sociological Association on the Protection of Human Subjects from the Subpoena of Confidential Belfast Project Research Data," 21 February. Where is the AHA's statement?
Carnivalesque #82, an early modern edition of the festival, is up at M. H. Beals's Demography and the Imperial Public Sphere Before Victoria. Giants' Shoulders #44, a Grand Bazaar Edition of the history of science festival, is up at Thony C's Renaissance Mathematicus.
Thomas Wide reviews Kwasi Kwarteng's Ghosts of Empire: Britain's Legacies in the Modern World for the Daily Beast, 16 February.
Roger Moorhouse, "Germania: Hitler's Dream Capital," History Today, March, considers Albert Speer's dystopic vision for Berlin.
Jonathan Yardley for the Washington Post, 17 February, and Gerard Baker for the WSJ, 18 February, review Jean Edward Smith's Eisenhower in War and Peace. Mitch Smith, "'Benjamin Elijah Mays, Schoolmaster of the Movement'," IHE, 22 February, interviews Randal Jelks about his new biography of Mays.
Timothy Noah, "The Two Americas," TNR, 20 February, reviews Charles Murray's Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010. Matthew Iglesias, "Krugman vs. Brooks," Slate, 17 February, reviews other reviewers. Demetria Gallegos, "Charles Murray Answers Questions on America's Growing Class Divide," WSJ, 4 February, is a transcript of readers' questions to Murray and his replies. Jennifer Schuessler, "A Lightning Rod in the Storm Over America's Class Divide," NYT, 5 February, is a feature sketch of Murray.
comments powered by Disqus
- How Alvin the Beagle Helped Usher in a Democratic Senate
- Political Scientist Angie Maxwell on Countering the 'Long Southern Strategy'
- Rewinding Jimi Hendrix’s National Anthem
- The Senate Has Used the Filibuster to Block Civil Rights Bills for Decades. That’s Another Reason for Dems to Ditch It
- Democrats are getting Chuck Grassleyed
- We’ve Had a White Supremacist Coup Before. History Buried It
- Historian Discusses The Politics That Shape U.S. History In Schools
- Keri Leigh Merritt on White Myths, Lost Causes & True History
- When White Extremism Seeps Into The Mainstream
- A TV Documentary Shows the Deep Roots of Right-Wing Conspiracy