More Noted Things
James Romm, "The Greeks' Daring Experiment," WSJ, 11 February, reviews Christian Meier's A Culture of Freedom: Ancient Greece and the Origins of Europe.
Mike Dash, "The Monster of Glamis," Past Imperfect, 10 February, looks at the history of the castle's mystery.
Jeffrey Wasserstram, "The Battle for China's Soul," WSJ, 11 February, reviews Stephen Platt's Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom: China, the West, and the Epic Story of the Taiping Civil War.
Timothy Messer-Kruse, "The 'Undue Weight' of Truth on Wikipedia," CHE, 12 February, reports his scholarship about Chicago's Haymarket riot took a beating on Wikipedia.
Giles Milton, "A Tale of Two Towers," Surviving History, 14 February, reports on Edward Watkin's Folly.
Henrik Bering, "A Penchant for Dreaming," WSJ, 11 February, reviews Fiona MacCarthy's The Last Pre-Raphaelite: Edward Burne-Jones and the Victorian Imagination. Mark Kingwell, "Van Gogh vs. ‘truthiness'," Globe and Mail, 10 February, reviews Modris Eksteins's Solar Dance: Genius, Forgery, and the Crisis of Truth in the Modern Age.
David P. Goldman, "Fool's Gold," Tablet, 9 February, and Michiko Kakutani, "Historian Who Influences Both Obama and Romney," NYT, 13 February, review Robert Kagan's The World America Made. Kagan, "Why the World Needs America," WSJ, 11 February, is excerpted from the book. Jennifer Rubin, Right Turn, 14 February, interviews Kagan about the book. Daniel Drezner, Gideon Rachman, and Kagan, "The Rise or Fall of the American Empire," Foreign Policy, 14 February, is a roundtable about the book.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Daily Mail is highlighting claims by a Cambridge don that teachers are helping to foster resentment by presenting history as the struggle of minority groups
- Historians Are Calling Out Trump Online Whenever He Misreads the Past
- Linda Gordon’s new book captures how white supremacy has long been part of our political mainstream
- Yale Civil Rights history course is a "call to action" and a chance "to be woke”
- Gil Troy back’s Trump decision on Jerusalem