Blogs Cliopatria Weak EndnotesFeb 11, 2012
Michael Schapira interviews "Chris Lehmann," Full Stop, 7 February, about the peculiarity of studying history at Rochester with Christopher Lasch.
Vladimir Shiltsev, "Mikhail Lomonosov and the dawn of Russian science," Physics Today, February, features the Russian pioneer in physics, chemistry, and astronomy. Little known in the West, Lomonosov also wrote poetry and history.
Charles Rosen, "The Super Power of Franz Liszt," NYRB, 23 February, reviews Jonathan Kregor's Liszt as Transcriber.
Adam Kirsch, "The New World of William Carlos Williams," NYRB, 23 February, reviews Herbert Leibowitz's "Something Urgent I Have to Say to You": The Life and Works of William Carlos Williams, Wendell Berry's The Poetry of William Carlos Williams of Rutherford, and Williams, By Word of Mouth: Poems from the Spanish, 1916–1959. Lisa Levy, "A Peaceful, but Very Interesting Pursuit," The Rumpus, 31 January, reviews The Letters of T.S. Eliot, I, 1898-1922; II, 1923-5.
Toby Ash interviews "Wade Davis on Legacies of World War One," The Browser, 9 February, for his recommendation of five essential books on the subject.
Molly Worthen, "The Complicated History of Catholics, Protestants, and Contraceptives," Slate, 9 February, features historical background to yesterday's headlines.
Karen Abbott, "The Man Who Wouldn't Die," Past Imperfect, 7 February, recalls the repeated attempts to murder one of New York's homeless bums.
comments powered by Disqus
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"