Michael Schapira interviews "Chris Lehmann," Full Stop, 7 February, about the peculiarity of studying history at Rochester with Christopher Lasch.
Vladimir Shiltsev, "Mikhail Lomonosov and the dawn of Russian science," Physics Today, February, features the Russian pioneer in physics, chemistry, and astronomy. Little known in the West, Lomonosov also wrote poetry and history.
Charles Rosen, "The Super Power of Franz Liszt," NYRB, 23 February, reviews Jonathan Kregor's Liszt as Transcriber.
Adam Kirsch, "The New World of William Carlos Williams," NYRB, 23 February, reviews Herbert Leibowitz's "Something Urgent I Have to Say to You": The Life and Works of William Carlos Williams, Wendell Berry's The Poetry of William Carlos Williams of Rutherford, and Williams, By Word of Mouth: Poems from the Spanish, 1916–1959. Lisa Levy, "A Peaceful, but Very Interesting Pursuit," The Rumpus, 31 January, reviews The Letters of T.S. Eliot, I, 1898-1922; II, 1923-5.
Toby Ash interviews "Wade Davis on Legacies of World War One," The Browser, 9 February, for his recommendation of five essential books on the subject.
Molly Worthen, "The Complicated History of Catholics, Protestants, and Contraceptives," Slate, 9 February, features historical background to yesterday's headlines.
Karen Abbott, "The Man Who Wouldn't Die," Past Imperfect, 7 February, recalls the repeated attempts to murder one of New York's homeless bums.
comments powered by Disqus
- Poland’s forgotten civil strife and the struggle for Jewish statehood
- Socialists were winning U.S. elections long before Bernie Sanders and AOC
- The House just passed a bill to create a women’s history museum. Only one congresswoman voted against it.
- For hundreds of years, enslaved people were bought and sold in America. Today most of the sites of this trade are forgotten.
- 2 New Books Examine the the History of Black Travel
- AHA Publishes 2020 Jobs Report
- Yuval Noah Harari's History of Everyone, Ever
- Historian Manisha Sinha Discussed Trump's Acquittal on 2 Episodes of Democracy Now
- Longtime University of Iowa Jeff Cox, 72, championed candidates and his kids
- "No Boy Scout": William Rust Publishes Article on CIA Operations Officer Lucien Conein