Blogs Cliopatria More Modern NotesFeb 9, 2012
More Modern Notes
William H. McNeill, "The Doges of War," WSJ, 4 February, reviews Roger Crowley's City of Fortune: How Venice Ruled the Seas. Marina Warner, "Monsters, magic and miracles," TLS, 8 February, reviews Wes Williams's Monsters and Their Meanings in Early Modern Culture: Mighty magic.
Claire Harman, "What an amazing man!" TLS, 8 February, reviews Jenny Hartley, ed., The Selected Letters of Charles Dickens. Michael Levenson, "Read Dickens Now!" Slate, 7 February, reviews Claire Tomalin's Charles Dickens: A Life; and Robert Douglas-Fairhurst's Becoming Dickens: The Invention of a Novelist. Catherine Peters, "Sparkler of Albion," Literary Digest, February, reviews other important additions to Dickens scholarship.
Dwight Garner, "A Chinese Civil War to Dwarf All Others," NYT, 6 February, reviews Stephen R. Platt's Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom: China, the West, and the Epic Story of the Taiping Civil War.
Daniel Johnson, "Wandering Jew," Literary Digest, February, reviews Michael Hofmann, ed. & trans., Joseph Roth: A Life in Letters.
Mark Schmitt, "Ancient History," The Book, 9 February, reviews Geoffrey Kabaservice's Rule and Ruin: The Downfall of Moderation and the Destruction of the Republican Party, From Eisenhower to the Tea Party.
Dwight Garner, "Writers at the Ramparts in a Gay Revolution," NYT, 2 February, reviews Christopher Bram's Eminent Outlaws: The Gay Writers Who Changed America.
comments powered by Disqus
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"