Michelle Malkin on Japanese Internment: Then and Now
The government has apologized and provided cash compensation to victims who were forced into camps. There is no denying that what happened to Japanese-American internees was abhorrent and wrong.
comments powered by Disqus
john mac william - 9/29/2005
Nice blog.I read some of you're articles and they are really good.
David T. Beito - 8/24/2005
David T. Beito - 8/21/2005
Of course, she has perfect right to change her mind though becoming an "expert" after only five years (or less) is quite an accomplishment. I am curious as to whether her shift began before or after 9-11.
Eric Leigh Muller - 8/21/2005
Malkin repudiated this view long ago. She says that at the time she wrote this, she was still under the sway of the America-hating left's false account of the internment.
Jonathan Dresner - 8/21/2005
Sorry, I could tell you were taking a shot at someone, but it wasn't immediately clear whether it was Malkin or Beito. I just throught I'd make it clear.
I mostly wanted to clarify the first line: it's not "consistency" that's the problem, but "foolish consistency"; remembering that distinction has heightened my appreciation for pragmatic inconsistency in policy and morality...
Sudha Shenoy - 8/20/2005
It was ironic.
Gary McGath - 8/20/2005
I'd never seen the second sentence of that Emerson quote before. That sentence reveals a Raskolnikov-like sense of superiority to the ordinary rabble.
Malkin is, of course, contemptible.
Jonathan Dresner - 8/20/2005
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self Reliance."
I'm sorry, but Malkin has a long way to go (backwards, even) before she's in "great soul" category, particularly as she's a great purveyor of "foolish consistency" herself.
Sudha Shenoy - 8/20/2005
"Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Should Trump Be Impeached? What Founding Father James Madison Gave as Grounds for Impeachment.
- Long Lost Nordic Village Mysteriously Abandoned in the Middle Ages Rediscovered
- Holocaust Memorial Rebuilt Outside Far-Right Politician's House By German Activists
- Ratko Mladic Is Convicted in 1990s Slaughter of Bosnian Muslims
- Most Everything You Learned About Thanksgiving Is Wrong
- Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’?
- Vietnam veterans challenge Ken Burns on the accuracy of his epic documentary
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race