Things Noted Here & There
Nigel Cliff, "The Reign of Venice," NYT, 27 January, reviews Roger Crowley's City of Fortune: How Venice Ruled the Seas. Matthew Price reviews Norman Davies's Vanished Kingdoms: The Lives and Afterlives of Europe's Lost Realms for The National, 28 January.
John B. Hattendorf, "The War Without a Loser," WSJ, 28 January, reviews George C. Daughan's 1812: The Navy's War and Brian Arthur's How Britain Won the War of 1812.
Pablo Eisenberg, "The Foundation Business," Nation, 25 January, reviews Olivier Zunz's Philanthropy in America: A History.
Sam Roberts, "How the Jews Handled Prohibition," NYT, 27 January, reviews Marni Davis's Jews and Booze: Becoming American in the Age of Prohibition.
Brad Gooch, "How Gossip Became History," Daily Beast, 29 January, reviews Christopher Bram's Eminent Outlaws: The Gay Writers Who Changed America. Susie Linfield, "The Pains of the Pioneers," The Book, 30 January, reviews Susan Hertog's Dangerous Ambition: Rebecca West and Dorothy Thompson, New Women in Search of Love and Power.
Gabriel Thompson, "Looking Back at the UFW, a Union With Two Souls," Nation, 25 January, interviews Frank Bardacke, the author of Trampling Out the Vintage: Cesar Chavez and the Two Souls of the United Farm Workers.
comments powered by Disqus
- Joe Biden is making a Supreme Court promise. Ronald Reagan did, too.
- Land Deed for Pioneering School Sheds Light on an Early American Anti-Slavery Effort
- Pathologizing Politics: Eugenics and Political Discourse in the Modern United States
- Behind Dover Publications’ eclectic 10,000-title catalog lies a remarkable story of 20th century innovation
- Could Never Bernie Make It a Contested Convention? Here's 4 Contested Conventions in Presidential Election History
- Historian Heidi Tworek Interviewed on the History Behind Coronavirus Racism
- Gordon Wood Reviews Mary Beth Norton's ‘1774’ for the Wall Street Journal
- Black Perspectives Reviews Black Banking and Women Financial Power Brokers
- A lost history, recovered: Faded records tell the story of school segregation in Virginia
- H.R. McMaster book `Battlegrounds’ coming out in April