Modern History Notes
Mary Beth Norton, "Margaret Fuller: Woman of the World," NYT, 20 January, and Melanie Kirkpatrick, "Let Them Be Sea Captains!" WSJ, 21 January, review John Matteson's The Lives of Margaret Fuller: A Biography. Dwight Garner, "All-American Religion or Reason to Worry?" NYT, 24 January, reviews Matthew Bowman's The Mormon People: The Making of an American Faith. Bowman blogs at The Juvenile Instructor.
Sam Leith, "Age of Ideas," Spectator, 21 January, reviews Tony Judt with Timothy Snyder, Thinking the Twentieth Century. Steve Donoghue reviews Peter Englund's The Beauty and the Sorrow: An Intimate History of the First World War for The National, 20 January.
Ron Rosenbaum, "Revisiting The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich," Smithsonian, February, is adapted from Rosenbaum's introduction to a new edition of William L. Shirer's classic. Jonathan Yardley reviews Peter Longerich's Heinrich Himmler: A Life for the Washington Post, 20 January. Peter Clarke, "The Rivals," The Book, 25 January, reviews Peter Caddick-Adams's Monty and Rommel: Parallel Lives.
Thaddeus Russell, "Controlling Guns, Controlling People," Reason, January, reviews Adam Winkler's Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America.
Simon Schama, "No Downers in ‘Downton'," Daily Beast, 16 January, gives "Downton Abby" a thumbs down. "... history's meant to be a bummer, not a stroll down memory lane. Done right, it delivers the tonic of tragedy, not the bromide of romance." "Uptown Downstairs Abbey" spoofs the genre:
comments powered by Disqus
- 75 Years After World War II Theft, a Painting Returns to Italy
- U.S. Ship Sunk in World War II by German Sub Is Found Off Maine Coast
- The Woman Who Discovered the Cause of Global Warming Was Long Overlooked. Her Story Is a Reminder to Champion All Women Leading on Climate
- Iran Confrontation With U.K. Reflects History of Bad Blood
- The deadly race riot ‘aided and abetted’ by The Washington Post a century ago
- Tom Engelhardt Writes Personal and Historical Essay: Turning 75 in the Age of Trump
- Historian Drew Gilpin Faust Pens Personal and Historical Essay: "Race, History, and Memories of a Virginia Girlhood"
- WBUR Is Belatedly Giving Credit to a Female Historian for a Segment
- Behind the men on the moon, there were thousands of women
- Professor Rebecca Gordon Pens Essay Revealing Her Abortion and Examines Ongoing History of Roe v. Wade