Modern History Notes
Mary Beth Norton, "Margaret Fuller: Woman of the World," NYT, 20 January, and Melanie Kirkpatrick, "Let Them Be Sea Captains!" WSJ, 21 January, review John Matteson's The Lives of Margaret Fuller: A Biography. Dwight Garner, "All-American Religion or Reason to Worry?" NYT, 24 January, reviews Matthew Bowman's The Mormon People: The Making of an American Faith. Bowman blogs at The Juvenile Instructor.
Sam Leith, "Age of Ideas," Spectator, 21 January, reviews Tony Judt with Timothy Snyder, Thinking the Twentieth Century. Steve Donoghue reviews Peter Englund's The Beauty and the Sorrow: An Intimate History of the First World War for The National, 20 January.
Ron Rosenbaum, "Revisiting The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich," Smithsonian, February, is adapted from Rosenbaum's introduction to a new edition of William L. Shirer's classic. Jonathan Yardley reviews Peter Longerich's Heinrich Himmler: A Life for the Washington Post, 20 January. Peter Clarke, "The Rivals," The Book, 25 January, reviews Peter Caddick-Adams's Monty and Rommel: Parallel Lives.
Thaddeus Russell, "Controlling Guns, Controlling People," Reason, January, reviews Adam Winkler's Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America.
Simon Schama, "No Downers in ‘Downton'," Daily Beast, 16 January, gives "Downton Abby" a thumbs down. "... history's meant to be a bummer, not a stroll down memory lane. Done right, it delivers the tonic of tragedy, not the bromide of romance." "Uptown Downstairs Abbey" spoofs the genre:
comments powered by Disqus
- Turnover In Trump's White House Is 'Record-Setting,' And It Isn't Even Close
- The History Of Government Shutdowns In The U.S.
- Unhealthiest presidents in U.S. history
- ‘Make it right’: Descendants of slaves demand restitution from Georgetown
- See How Trump's Approval Rating Stacks Up Against Other Presidents After One Year
- Barbara and Karen Fields discuss their new book, "Racecraft"
- What’s Antifa all about? Mark Bray explains.
- Historian Keisha N. Blain tells the story of black nationalist women in her new book
- War or Peace for North Korea: A call for Action by Historians for Peace and Democracy
- George Will goes after liberal historian David Goldfield