Modern History Notes
Mary Beth Norton, "Margaret Fuller: Woman of the World," NYT, 20 January, and Melanie Kirkpatrick, "Let Them Be Sea Captains!" WSJ, 21 January, review John Matteson's The Lives of Margaret Fuller: A Biography. Dwight Garner, "All-American Religion or Reason to Worry?" NYT, 24 January, reviews Matthew Bowman's The Mormon People: The Making of an American Faith. Bowman blogs at The Juvenile Instructor.
Sam Leith, "Age of Ideas," Spectator, 21 January, reviews Tony Judt with Timothy Snyder, Thinking the Twentieth Century. Steve Donoghue reviews Peter Englund's The Beauty and the Sorrow: An Intimate History of the First World War for The National, 20 January.
Ron Rosenbaum, "Revisiting The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich," Smithsonian, February, is adapted from Rosenbaum's introduction to a new edition of William L. Shirer's classic. Jonathan Yardley reviews Peter Longerich's Heinrich Himmler: A Life for the Washington Post, 20 January. Peter Clarke, "The Rivals," The Book, 25 January, reviews Peter Caddick-Adams's Monty and Rommel: Parallel Lives.
Thaddeus Russell, "Controlling Guns, Controlling People," Reason, January, reviews Adam Winkler's Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America.
Simon Schama, "No Downers in ‘Downton'," Daily Beast, 16 January, gives "Downton Abby" a thumbs down. "... history's meant to be a bummer, not a stroll down memory lane. Done right, it delivers the tonic of tragedy, not the bromide of romance." "Uptown Downstairs Abbey" spoofs the genre:
comments powered by Disqus
- Joe Biden is making a Supreme Court promise. Ronald Reagan did, too.
- Land Deed for Pioneering School Sheds Light on an Early American Anti-Slavery Effort
- Pathologizing Politics: Eugenics and Political Discourse in the Modern United States
- Behind Dover Publications’ eclectic 10,000-title catalog lies a remarkable story of 20th century innovation
- Could Never Bernie Make It a Contested Convention? Here's 4 Contested Conventions in Presidential Election History
- Historian Heidi Tworek Interviewed on the History Behind Coronavirus Racism
- Gordon Wood Reviews Mary Beth Norton's ‘1774’ for the Wall Street Journal
- Black Perspectives Reviews Black Banking and Women Financial Power Brokers
- A lost history, recovered: Faded records tell the story of school segregation in Virginia
- H.R. McMaster book `Battlegrounds’ coming out in April