Things Noted Here & There
Carnivalesque LXXXI, "Sexy Coins and why Giggs should have listened to the Greeks," an ancient/medieval edition of the festival, is up at Tom Sykes's In Pursuit of History.
Peter Monaghan, "Monumental Egyptologists," CHE, 15 January, reviews Ivor Noël Hume's Belzoni: The Giant Archaeologists Love to Hate and Jeffrey Abt's American Egyptologist: The Life of James Henry Breasted and the Creation of His Oriental Institute. Michael Dirda reviews Michael Murray's Jacques Barzun: Portrait of a Mind for the Washington Post, 18 January.
Graham E. Seel, "Good King John," History Today, February, paints a positive portrait.
Ken Johnson, "Getting Personal," NYT, 22 December, and Jed Perl, "Why Curators Matter," TNR, 18 January, review "The Renaissance Portrait: From Donatello to Bellini," an exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan. Charles Hope, "The Wrong Leonardo?" NYRB, 9 February, reviews "Leonardo da Vinci: Painter at the Court of Milan," an exhibit at London's National Gallery of Art. Hope gives particular attention to its inclusion of two versions of The Virgin of the Rocks attributed to Leonardo.
Charles Isherwood, "Ben Jonson: In and Out of Shakespeare's Shadow," NYT, 19 January, reviews Ian Donaldson's Ben Jonson: A Life.
Faramerz Dabhoiwala, "The first sexual revolution: lust and liberty in the 18th century," Guardian, 20 January, is an excerpt from his The Origins of Sex: A History of the First Sexual Revolution.
comments powered by Disqus
- The original Watergate lock that burglars picked open is going to auction
- Trump, Mueller And The Ancient History Of Grants Of Immunity
- Documents show Gorbachev was assured US wouldn't expand NATO into Central and Eastern Europe
- Memorial to honor 4,000 victims of lynching to be built in Montgomery, Alabama
- Study: Inequality is a phenomenon of the past 10,000 years
- Gil Troy back’s Trump decision on Jerusalem
- College Board revises AP European history test in response to criticism by conservatives
- AHA says it’s feasible to stop the proposed tax on grad student tuition waivers
- Rashid Khalidi opposes Trump decision on Jerusalem
- Daniel Pipes backs Trump decision on Jerusalem