How Clinton's infidelities helped France rejoin NATO
Looking for an enlightening and enjoyable read, try La Seduction: How the French Play the Game of Life by Elaine Sciolino (Jun 7, 2011). This passage illustrates the double charm -
Even when the French try to use flexibility to nudge the other side to compromise, cultural misunderstandings can make the process difficult. Araud told the story of the torturous negotiations with an American counterpart in 1999 over new strategic rules for NATO. Araud too the position that the text had to specify that any military intervention should be in accordance with the UN Charter; the American diplomat rejected that condition.
"What happens if you want to intervene and the Russians block it with a veto?" the American asked
"I intervene," Araud replied.
"I don't understand," the American said. "You want us to say 'according to the UN Charter,' and you tell me that you're ready to violate the UN Charter?"
"Wait a minute," Araud said. "When you marry, you say that you'll be faithful to your wife. After that, they there is real life."
The American looked at him in horror. . . .
The story had a happy ending. "The matter was resolved by the two presidents, Jacque Chirac and Bill Clinton," said Araud. "They both know a lot about marital infidelity."
comments powered by Disqus
- Battle Over Confederate Monuments Moves to the Cemeteries
- German WW1 U-boat found off Belgian coast
- $35 million Book of Mormon manuscript sale called the ‘biggest game-changer in Mormon history’
- 159 scholars at Harvard sign petition reprimanding the school for rejections of Chelsea Manning and Michelle Jones
- Fact Check: Steve Bannon’s Bad History
- University of Utah appoints first Mormon Studies professor
- Eric Foner discusses the manipulation of history
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond
- He’s 75 now. When he started teaching at the University of New Orleans students walked out on his class.