Blogs Cliopatria Modern History NotesDec 15, 2011
Modern History Notes
Vernon Bogdanor reviews Peter Conrad's Verdi and/or Wagner: Two Men, Two Worlds, Two Centuries for the New Statesman, 5 December.
Mark Polizzotti, "Patabiographical," bookforum, Dec/Jan, reviews Alastair Brotchie's new biography of the French playwright, Alfred Jarry: A Pataphysical Life.
Franklin Foer, "Macho Pointy-Head," The Book, 30 December, reviews Daniel Ruddy, ed., Theodore Roosevelt's History of the United States: His Own Words.
Alec Ash interviews "Rana Mitter on 100 Years of Modern China," The Browser, 13 December, for the Oxford historian's recommendation of five essential books on the subject.
Chet Raymo, "The Secret Life of Heddy Lamarr," Globe and Mail, 9 December, Barbara Spindell for the Barnes and Noble Review, 9 December, and Dwight Garner, "Glamour and Munitions: A Screen Siren's Wartime Ingenuity," NYT, 13 December, review Richard Rhodes's Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr.
Christopher Byrd, "Our Country, Our Critic," Democracy, Winter, reviews Richard M. Cook, ed., Alfred Kazin's Journals.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of