Blogs Cliopatria Weak EndnotesDec 10, 2011
Norman Stone, "A Very English Controversialist," WSJ, 10 December, reviews Adam Sisman's An Honourable Englishman: The Life of Hugh Trevor-Roper.
David Margolick, "The African-American Experience," NYT, 9 December, reviews Henry Louis Gates's Life Upon These Shores: Looking at African American History, 1513-2008. Isn't it time to admit that Skip is a trickster and we been tricked?
Ben MacIntyre, "The Risks and Rewards of Exploring the Nile," NYT, 9 December, reviews Tim Jeal's Explorers of the Nile: The Triumph and Tragedy of a Great Victorian Adventure.
Julia Frey reviews Steven Naifeh's and Gregory White Smith's Van Gogh: The Life for the Washington Post, 9 December.
Jacob Heilbrunn reviews John Lewis Gaddis's George Kennan: An American Life for the Daily Beast, 9 December. Geoffrey Kabaservice, "William F. Buckley Jr.: Right Man, Right Time," NYT, 9 December, reviews Carl T. Bogus's Buckley: William F. Buckley Jr. and the Rise of American Conservatism. Bogus, "God and man and William F. Buckley," LAT, 27 November, considers the importance of Buckley's God and Man at Yale.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of