Blogs Cliopatria Midweek NotesDec 7, 2011
Biblical Studies Carnival #69 is up at Deane Galbraith's Remnant of Giants.
Charles Moore, "A gentleman and a scholar, or just a good story?" Telegraph, 12 July 2010, and Dwight Garner, "A Reputation Staked, and Shattered, on the Forged Diaries of Hitler," NYT, 6 December, review Adam Sisman's An Honourable Gentleman: The Life of Hugh Trevor-Roper.
Dan Hofstadter, "The Heirloom City," WSJ, 3 December, reviews R. J. B. Bosworth's Whispering City: Rome and Its Histories, Robert Hughes's Rome: A Cultural, Visual, And Personal History, and Franco Mormando's Bernini: His Life and His Rome.
Hugh Thompson, "Nothing Gold Can Stay," WSJ, 3 December, reviews Gerard Helferich's Stone of Kings: In Search of the Lost Jade of the Maya and Bill Yenne's Cities of Gold: Legendary Kingdoms, Quixotic Quests, and Fantastic New World Wealth.
Edward Rothstein, "The South Reinterprets Its ‘Lost Cause'," NYT, 5 December, visits Richmond's Virginia Historical Society and its Museum of the Confederacy.
Nicholas Thompson, "Ideas Man: The Legacy of George F. Kennan," Foreign Affairs, 6 December, reviews John Lewis Gaddis's George F. Kennan: An American Life.
Simon Schama, "Why America Should Care About the Collapse of European Unity," Daily Beast, 5 December, argues that we might have learned from past experience that Europe's health is the health of nations.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of