Blogs Cliopatria More Noted ThingsDec 6, 2011
More Noted Things
Today, Cliopatria celebrates her eighth birthday! Thanks to History News Network and to all the historians and well-informed lay people who brought us to this time and place.
Nadine Orenstein, "The Challenge of Interpreting Caricatures and Satires," Now at the Met, 9 November, reflects on her experience curating "Infinite Jest: Caricature and Satire From Leonardo to Levine," an exhibit at Manhattan's Metropolitan Museum. "The History of Caricature," NYT, 2 December, reviews the exhibition's catalogue, Constance C. McPhee's and Orenstein's Infinite Jest: Caricature and Satire From Leonardo to Levine.
Adrian Tinniswood, "Vile Bodies," Literary Review, Dec/Jan, reviews Anne Somerset's Queen Anne: The Politics of Passion.
O. A. Westad, "Cold Hands, Warm Heart," Literary Review, Dec/Jan, reviews Frank Costigliola's Roosevelt's Lost Alliances: How Personal Politics Helped Start the Cold War.
Frank Dikötter, "The Tenacity of Hope," Literary Review, Dec/Jan, reviews Liao Yiwu's God is Red: The Secret Story of How Christianity Survived and Flourished in Communist China. Translated by Wenguang Huang.
Finally, Adam Hochschild, "What Gingrich Didn't Learn in Congo," NYT, 4 December, finds unexpected problems in Gingrich's Tulane history dissertation.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of