Blogs Cliopatria Things Noted Here & ThereDec 5, 2011
Things Noted Here & There
Francine Prose, "Robert Hughes Tours Rome," NYT, 2 December, reviews Hughes's Rome: A Cultural, Visual, and Personal History. Géza Vermès, "Jews, Christians and Judaeo-Christians," Standpoint, December, traces the early history of Christian Jews or Jewish Christianity.
Christopher Benfey, "Revisiting Camelot," NYT, 2 December, reviews Peter Ackroyd's The Death of King Arthur: Thomas Malory's "Le Morte d'Arthur". Alida Becker, "The Archaeologist as Titan," NYT, 2 December, reviews Ivor Noël Hume's Belzoni: The Giant Archaeologists Love to Hate.
Brooke Allen, "Italy's Fragile Union," NYT, 2 December, reviews David Gilmour's The Pursuit of Italy: A History of a Land, Its Regions, and Their Peoples. Diana Preston reviews Tim Jeal's Explorers of the Nile: The Triumph and Tragedy of a Great Victorian Adventure for the Washington Post, 2 December. Thomas L. Jeffers reviews Rosamund Bartlett's Tolstoy: A Russian Life for the Washington Post, 2 December.
Richard J. Evans, "The Road to Slaughter," Tablet, 5 December, reviews Sean McMeekins's The Russian Origins of the First World War. Gerard DeGroot reviews Peter Englund's The Beauty and the Sorrow: An Intimate History of the First World War for the Washington Post, 2 December. Holly Morris, "The Lure of Everest," NYT, 2 December, reviews Wade Davis's Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory, and the Conquest of Everest.
Beverly Gage reviews Jim Newton's Eisenhower: The White House Years for the Washington Post, 2 December.
Nandini Ramachandran, "Frontiers of the Imagination," Sunday Guardian, 4 December, reviews Manan Ahmed's Where the Wild Frontiers Are: Pakistan and the American Imagination.
Finally, farewell to the distinguished American labor historian, David Montgomery.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of