Blogs Cliopatria Weak EndnotesDec 3, 2011
Carnivals: History Carnival CV is up at Chick History. Military History Carnival #29 is up here at Cliopatria.
Middle Stuff: Blair Worden reviews Thomas Penn's Winter King: The Dawn of Tudor England for the Guardian, 25 November. Jed Perl, "The Discoverer," The Book, 1 December, reviews Weston Naef's and Christine Hult-Lewis's Carleton Watkins: The Complete Mammoth Photographs.
Later Stuff: Joanna Bourke, "Pity and War Histories," TLS, 30 November, reviews Peter Englund's The Beauty and the Sorrow: An intimate history of the First World War and Max Hastings's All Hell Let Loose: The world at war 1939–45. Matt Novak, "'A Robot Has Shot Its Master': The 1930s hysteria about machines taking jobs and killing people," Slate, 30 November, finds mechanization a threat in the Great Depression. William Giraldi reviews Adam Kirsch's Why Trilling Matters for the Daily Beast, 1 December.
Last Things: Romy Oltuski, "Famous Authors' Harshest Rejection Letters," FlavorWire, 17 November, may salve the wounds inflicted on you by meatheads in editorial offices. Jan Swafford, "Last Notes: the wild, sublime music that composers write on their deathbeds," Slate, 29 November, looks at musicians' last compositions. Finally, congratulations to Siddhartha Mukherjee. His book, The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer, has overcome the challenge from four novels to win the Guardian's First Book Prize for 2011.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of