Things Noted Here & There
Carnivalesque LXXX, an early modern edition of the festival, is up at Adam Hooks's anchora.
Military History Carnival XXIX will be up here at Cliopatria on 1 December. Use the form to nominate the best in military history blogging since 29 August. Deadline for submissions is 28 November.
Mike Dash, "The Mystery of the Five Wounds," Past Imperfect, 18 November, looks at the appearance of stigmata as a historical phenomenon.
Eve Gerber interviews "Colin Calloway on Native Americans and Colonisers," The Browser, 25 November, for his recommendation of five crucial books on the subject.
Colin Kidd, "The Obdurate Knoll," LRB, 1 December, reviews Jeff Greenfield's Then Everything Changed. Stunning Alternate Histories of American Politics: JFK, RFK, Carter, Ford, Reagan and Stephen King's 11.22.63. Michiko Kakutani, "With a Few Tweaks, Shaking Up History," NYT, 28 February, reviews Greenfield. A King extract wins the Bad Sex Award for Breathy Gasping.
Strobe Talbot, "Remembering the Unquiet American," Foreign Policy, 1 November, and David Rohde, "Richard Holbrooke's Last Mission in Afghanistan," Daily Beast, 26 November, are excerpts from Derek Chollet's and Samantha Power's The Unquiet American: Richard Holbrooke in the World.
comments powered by Disqus
- Archivists Are Mining Parler Metadata to Pinpoint Crimes at the Capitol
- ‘World’s Greatest Athlete’ Jim Thorpe Was Wronged by Bigotry. The IOC Must Correct the Record
- Black Southerners are Wielding Political Power that was Denied their Parents and Grandparents
- Israeli Rights Group: Nation Isn't a Democracy but an "Apartheid Regime"
- Capitol Riot: The 48 Hours that Echoed Generations of Southern Conflict
- Resolution of the Conference on Faith and History: Executive Board Response to the Assault on the U.S. Capitol
- By the People, for the People, but Not Necessarily Open to the People
- Wealthy Bankers And Businessmen Plotted To Overthrow FDR. A Retired General Foiled It
- Ole Miss Doubles Down on Professor's Termination
- How Fear Took Over the American Suburbs