Michael Bérubé, "At Penn State, a Bitter Reckoning," NYT, 17 November, is consistent with the University Faculty Senate's call for an investigating committee controlled by people without ties to the University.
In 1775, Samuel Johnson asked: "How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of Negroes?" Julie Flavell, "What Dr. Johnson Knew," Yale Press Log, 16 November, offers a tour of 18th century Fleet Street, whose American side featured both the drivers and the driven. Flavell is the author of When London Was Capital of America.
For the Washington Post, 18 November, Philip Kennicott reviews "Unbuilt Washington," an exhibit at the city's National Building Museum. Don't miss the slide shows: examiner, Huffington Post, Washington Post. Marc Fisher reviews John DeFerrari's Lost Washington, D.C. for the Washington Post, 18 November.
Coel Hellier, "Nazi racial ideology was religious, creationist and opposed to Darwinism," coelsblog, 8 November, is the argument of an atheist. Hellier either ignores or is ignorant of Ernst H.P.A. Haeckel's influence on Nazi ideology.
William Hogeland, "MLK on How to Protest," Hysteriography, 17 November, argues that those who would Occupy Wall Street could benefit from a close reading of Martin Luther King's "Letter from the Birmingham Jail."
Finally, congratulations to Harvard's Stephen Greenblatt, whose The Swerve: How the World Became Modern won the National Book Award, 2011, for Nonfiction.
comments powered by Disqus
- Previously untouched 600BC palace discovered under shrine demolished by Isil in Mosul
- Slate reveals that despite our apology, nothing’s been done to help Guatemalans infected in an experiment worse than Tuskegee
- Russian government website notes that game maker has sent “Secret Hitler” to every US senator
- Scholars debate the future of NATO
- Trump, Putin, and the New Cold War
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write
- French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport