Notes on Contemporary History
Jennifer Schuessler, "Ranking History's Atrocities by Counting the Corpses," NYT, 8 November, features the work of the ultimate amateur, Matthew White, his The Great Big Book of Horrible Things: The Definitive Chronicle of History's 100 Worst Atrocities, and his website. He's won praise from Harvard's Charles Maier and Steven Pinker. Scott McLemee, "Under the Sign of Saturn," IHE, 9 November, reviews Teofilo R. Ruiz's The Terror of History: On the Uncertainties of Life in Western Civilization.
Christopher Benson reviews Darryl Hart's From Billy Graham to Sarah Palin: Evangelicals and the Betrayal of American Conservatism for Books & Culture, 8 November.
Adam Kirsch, "The Art of Making Art," Tablet, 9 November, reviews Stephen Sondheim's Look, I Made a Hat: Collected Lyrics (1981-2011). With Attendant Comments, Amplifications, Dogmas, Harangues, Digressions, Anecdotes, and Miscellany.
comments powered by Disqus
- Frantz Fanon and the CIA Man
- What Orwell’s ‘1984’ tells us about today’s world, 70 years after it was published
- ‘Not above the law’: Executive privilege’s contentious history from Washington to Trump
- Civil War-era flag of black regiment to be auctioned; historian says it is last of its kind
- Why No One Can Agree on What George Washington Thought About the Relationship Between Church and State
- Researchers Uncover Ancient Grape DNA That Tells the Prolific History of Wine
- Three Recent Books Examine Frederick Douglass' Legacy
- Biographer Jon Meacham, Tim McGraw explore American history in song
- The 'Counter-Textbooks' Offering Kids a Radical Look at History
- Georgia history professor’s immigration comments cause stir on social media