While Democrats need to focus on regaining control of the White House and Congress, the GOP has turned its attention to expanding its reach into Democratic territory so that the party can secure a long-term governing majority.
If Republicans could win the 2008 presidential election with someone from the “bastion” of American liberalism—Massachusetts--the victory would have major political reverberations. Right now, there are no potential Democratic candidates who are threatening to make serious inroads into the red states, so the real action will likely take place in the blue sections of the map.
Democrats must play defense. Meanwhile, Republicans will try to drive onto Democratic territory with the hope of gaining votes from the exurbs as well from certain immigrant and African-American voters.
Importantly for Governor Romney, his only real competition in the region is New York Governor George Pataki whose charisma problems and liberal spending/social policy record will probably render him a vice presidential candidate at best.
If Romney plays his cards right in the coming months, the governor can easily emerge as a formidable opponent to John McCain, Bill Frist, and other GOP hopefuls.
comments powered by Disqus
Oscar Chamberlain - 8/16/2005
"There are no potential Democratic candidates who are threatening to make serious inroads into the red states,"
I think Edwards could, which is not to dispute your main point, that Romney could be formidable.
- The six-day war: why Israel is still divided over its legacy 50 years on
- "Space archaeology" transforms how ancient sites are discovered
- A military cemetery whose African American history is hidden in plain sight in Philadelphia
- Texas Senate increases education board's textbook veto power
- The Secret Transcripts of the Six-Day War
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?
- What's the 'greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history’?