I finally got around to reading Winston and Clementine: The Personal Letters of the Churchills It contains a record of a real Edwardian marriage, one that had little to do with the Geisha type Jacklyn Kennedy shared with Jack. On October 18, 1909 Winstone wrote Clementine - "I hope you will not be angry with me for having answered the suffragettes sternly. I shall never try to crush your convictions. I must claim the same liberty for myself. "
But his letters also includes incontestably authentic comments on a wide variety of startlingly relevant subjects:
International conferences - "It is now a convention that foreign affairs are only to be treated in unctuous platitudes wh bear no relation to what is really going on. This is called 'Open diplomacy.'" (3/25/1925)
Arrogant presidential advisors - "He (George Marshall) talked much about . . . President Roosevelt with whom it seems he often disagreed & whom he sometimes did not consult - He said that he - the President - would direct his mind like a shaft of light over one section of the whole subject to be considered, leaving everything else in outer darkness - He did not like his attention being called to aspects which he had not mastered or which the lack of time or indolence or disinclination he has disregarded - Mind you he did not actually use these words, but the gist & I thought much more were implied." (12/16/1947)
Price of old age - "Osbert Peake came to dine & sleep last night and Christopher and I had 4 hours' vy informative talk w him about OAP (Old Age Pensions), which is the dominant feature of next year's Conservative propramme . . .
Peake hates old people (as such) living too long and cast a critical yet on me. . . . I felt vy guilty. "(8/19/1954)
Western Muslim relations - "The unity of Islam is remarkable. There is no doubt that Libya, to whom we paid 5,000,000 (Pound Sterling) a year, like Jordania, to whom we paid 10,000,000 (Sterling) or more, are whold-heartedly manifesting hostility." (8/11/1956)
comments powered by Disqus
- Hillary Clinton’s 3 debate performances left the Trump campaign in ruins
- Now Austria Says It Will Likely Redesign Hitler's House, Not Tear It Down
- Some looted Idlib National Museum artifacts resurface, fate of others a mystery amidst ‘thriving black market trade’
- Is the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau constitutional?
- Poll: Millennials desperately need to bone up on the history of communism
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"
- Conservative historians against Trump sign a petition warning he'd be dangerous
- Benjamin H. Irvin Named OAH Executive Editor
- Historian Diana Ramey Berry praises effort to return the skull of Nat Turner to his family