Mary Beard, "Alexander: How Great?" NYRB, 27 October, reviews Pierre Briant's Alexander the Great and His Empire: A Short Introduction, trans. by Amélie Kuhrt, Philip Freeman's Alexander the Great, James Romm's Ghost on the Throne: The Death of Alexander the Great and the War for Crown and Empire, Romm, ed., The Landmark Arrian: The Campaigns of Alexander, trans. by Pamela Mensch, and Ian Worthington's Philip II of Macedonia.
Yascha Mounk reviews David Gilmour's The Pursuit of Italy: A History of a Land, Its Regions, and Their Peoples for bookforum, 7 October.
Sholto Byrnes reviews Emma Christopher's A Merciless Place: The Lost Story of Britain's Convict Disaster in Africa for The National, 7 October.
Mike Dash, "In Search of Queen Victoria's Voice," Past Imperfect, 6 October, tracks the recording of the queen's voice.
Richard J. Evans, "Adolph & Eva," National Interest, Sept/Oct, reviews Heike B. Görtemaker's Eva Braun: Life with Hitler, trans. by Damion Searls.
Michael Kimmage, "Purity and Danger," The Book, 10 October, reviews Jonathan Herzog's The Spiritual-Industrial Complex: America's Religious Battle against Communism in the Early Cold War.
Daniel Luban, "Kristol Palace," n+1, 6 October, reviews Benjamin Balint's Running Commentary: The Contentious Magazine That Transformed the Jewish Left into the Neoconservative Right, Irving Kristol's The Neoconservative Persuasion: Selected Essays, 1942-2009, and Justin Vaïsse's Neoconservatism: The Biography of a Movement.
Jill Lepore, "Wall Street Protests: cash-roots," New Yorker, 6 October: "to be a historian is to know that no one can understand the present until it's past."
comments powered by Disqus
- Do American Indians Celebrate the 4th of July?
- Trump Vows To Veto Defense Bill If It Removes Confederate Names From Military Bases
- Fourth of July: Beer’s Patriotic Connection to the Founding Fathers
- Calls for ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ to be Replaced With a New US National Anthem
- As Young People Drive Infection Spikes, College Faculty Members Fight For The Right To Teach Remotely
- The Day the White Working Class Turned Republican (Review)
- David Starkey Criticised over Slavery Comments
- ‘A Conflicted Cultural Force’: What It’s Like to Be Black in Publishing
- Did Rutgers Find The Perfect President For 2020? Meet Jonathan Holloway, Black Historian.
- In Search of King David’s Lost Empire