Alexander Nazaryan, "Unbearable," The Book, 14 September, reviews Michel Pastoureau's The Bear: History of a Fallen King.
James Grant, "Follow the Money," WSJ, 10 September, Jim Cullen for HNN, 12 September, and Steven Pearlstein for the Washington Post, 15 September, review Sylvia Nazar's Grand Pursuit: The Story of Economic Genius, a study of modern economic thought.
Oleg Yuriev, "In the vortex of congealed time," signandsight, 12 September, reviews the literature of the siege of Leningrad, September 1941-January 1944.
Jane Caplan, "Hitler's End Game," TLS, 14 September, and Andrew Roberts, "How It Ended," Daily Beast, 14 September, review Sir Ian Kershaw's The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945.
Gilbert King, "What Paul Robeson Said," Past Imperfect, 13 September, revisits events leading to the singer's blacklisting.
Scott Malcomson, "A Free-for-All on a Decade of War," NYTM, 7 September, features a discussion among Malcomson, Paul Berman, James Traub, David Rieff, Ian Buruma, and Michael Ignatieff.
Benny Morris, "Is Israel Over?" Newsweek, 11 September, argues that the long struggle to survive in the Middle East has transfigured Israel into a state its founders would not recognize.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Lives Matter Movement Prods Bethlehem and Other Districts to Review How History is Taught
- During the Civil War, the Enslaved Were Given an Especially Odious Job. The Pay Went to Their Owners.
- Riots Long Ago, Luxury Living Today
- Native Americans and Polynesians Met Around 1200 A.D.
- Campaign Urges NASA to Rename the John C. Stennis Space Center
- Historical Association Schools Teachers on White House History
- MIT Professor Tunney Lee, an Architect, Urban Planner, and Historian of Chinatown, Dies at 88
- Historian Adrian Miller on Denver’s Underrepresented Legacy of Black Culinary Excellence
- ‘If I tell people about what happened, I honor my ancestors.’ How the Pandemic is Helping a Slavery Historian Develop a K-12 Lesson Plan on African-American History
- In Memoriam: Historian and Politician Ivo Banac