Just a minor epiphany
I'm gearing up a new book project on African global perspectives during the era of the Cold War. Today I've been looking into the exchange of musical forms between West Africa and the wider Atlantic World. And, well... it's just been EASY. I mean, really easy, to do the basic research. Between JSTOR and Amazon, I've downloaded a couple of dozen articles and have a dozen or so books on the way. Even with being lazy and buying the books (instead of getting them via interlibrary loan), it is costing me less than a one-day expedition to the nearest well stocked African Studies library. I'm glad that I've been at this business long enough to have undertaken research in the era of printed bibliographies and card catalogs, just so I know how good I've got it now. I've noticed this dynamic before, mind you, but today it just hit home extra hard. The sort of things I'm looking up are not terribly well researched, but they are yielding to my boolean logic with minimal effort. And I like it that way. It makes it so much easier to be a productive scholar AND help my four-year-old daughter produce her own book on fairies at the same time.
So, sorry, Card Catalog. Your polished wood was beautiful... the worn edges of your cards had a certain tattered charm... but as a research tool, you left much to be desired.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity