Military History Carnival #28
Welcome to the August 29, 2011 edition of the military history carnival. It's been three months of solid military history on the Internet, and this carnival is the best of reader-nominated entries. Special thanks to Jonathan Beard, for substantial contributions to this carnival.
Averrones presents "They shot at the skies": soldiers and firearms of 16th century posted at Sellswords, mercenaries and condottieri.
Alan Flower presents The Tsar's Army, an instrument of social mobility? posted at History and the Sock Merchant.
Jonathan Beard presents Excavated Bomb Suggests Early Start for Artillery at Spiegel Online International saying "A pretty good article, well translated. Too bad the line about the Civil War is wrong."
20th & 21st Centuries
David Silbey presents World War II Mystery [of Photo Album] Solved in a Few Hours at Lens.
Jonathan Beard presents New Book Claims Hitler Gave Sex Dolls to Nazi Soldiers at Gbooza saying "weirdness from the Reich."
Craig Swain presents The Naval War in the Falklands, Part 1 | Bring the heat, Bring the Stupid posted at Bring the heat, Bring the Stupid.
Jonathan Beard presents Metal Allies The new face of a faceless global war: drones and the CIA." at Slate.
Thomas Snyder presents Hospital Ship “Op ten Noort” « Of Ships & Surgeons posted at Of Ships & Surgeons, saying, "I'm particularly proud of this one--the story is, I think, compelling, compellingly sad."
Jonathan Beard presents Berlin Shies Away from Refurbishing Historic Warship at Der Spiegel saying "The Germans have been very, very bad about preserving warships ever since 1945. It seems that defeat took all the wind out of their sails."
Jonathan Beard presents Photo Gallery: How the US Military Simulates Iraq and Afghanistan at Flavor Wire.
That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of the military history carnival using our carnival submission form. The next carnival will be December 1. The submission deadline is November 28. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.
comments powered by Disqus
- Watch every presidential debate since 1960
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history