Military History Carnival #28
Welcome to the August 29, 2011 edition of the military history carnival. It's been three months of solid military history on the Internet, and this carnival is the best of reader-nominated entries. Special thanks to Jonathan Beard, for substantial contributions to this carnival.
Averrones presents "They shot at the skies": soldiers and firearms of 16th century posted at Sellswords, mercenaries and condottieri.
Alan Flower presents The Tsar's Army, an instrument of social mobility? posted at History and the Sock Merchant.
Jonathan Beard presents Excavated Bomb Suggests Early Start for Artillery at Spiegel Online International saying "A pretty good article, well translated. Too bad the line about the Civil War is wrong."
20th & 21st Centuries
David Silbey presents World War II Mystery [of Photo Album] Solved in a Few Hours at Lens.
Jonathan Beard presents New Book Claims Hitler Gave Sex Dolls to Nazi Soldiers at Gbooza saying "weirdness from the Reich."
Craig Swain presents The Naval War in the Falklands, Part 1 | Bring the heat, Bring the Stupid posted at Bring the heat, Bring the Stupid.
Jonathan Beard presents Metal Allies The new face of a faceless global war: drones and the CIA." at Slate.
Thomas Snyder presents Hospital Ship “Op ten Noort” « Of Ships & Surgeons posted at Of Ships & Surgeons, saying, "I'm particularly proud of this one--the story is, I think, compelling, compellingly sad."
Jonathan Beard presents Berlin Shies Away from Refurbishing Historic Warship at Der Spiegel saying "The Germans have been very, very bad about preserving warships ever since 1945. It seems that defeat took all the wind out of their sails."
Jonathan Beard presents Photo Gallery: How the US Military Simulates Iraq and Afghanistan at Flavor Wire.
That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of the military history carnival using our carnival submission form. The next carnival will be December 1. The submission deadline is November 28. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.
comments powered by Disqus
- Bozeman schools prefer kids in class on MLK Day
- Universities across the country are facing up to their past association with slavery
- Trump Budget Proposes Devastating Cuts to Federal History, Archival & Education Programs
- Alabama governor signs law giving thousands of felons their right to vote back
- Jerusalem Post recalls history of the Six-Day War
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?