Military History Carnival #28
Welcome to the August 29, 2011 edition of the military history carnival. It's been three months of solid military history on the Internet, and this carnival is the best of reader-nominated entries. Special thanks to Jonathan Beard, for substantial contributions to this carnival.
Averrones presents "They shot at the skies": soldiers and firearms of 16th century posted at Sellswords, mercenaries and condottieri.
Alan Flower presents The Tsar's Army, an instrument of social mobility? posted at History and the Sock Merchant.
Jonathan Beard presents Excavated Bomb Suggests Early Start for Artillery at Spiegel Online International saying "A pretty good article, well translated. Too bad the line about the Civil War is wrong."
20th & 21st Centuries
David Silbey presents World War II Mystery [of Photo Album] Solved in a Few Hours at Lens.
Jonathan Beard presents New Book Claims Hitler Gave Sex Dolls to Nazi Soldiers at Gbooza saying "weirdness from the Reich."
Craig Swain presents The Naval War in the Falklands, Part 1 | Bring the heat, Bring the Stupid posted at Bring the heat, Bring the Stupid.
Jonathan Beard presents Metal Allies The new face of a faceless global war: drones and the CIA." at Slate.
Thomas Snyder presents Hospital Ship “Op ten Noort” « Of Ships & Surgeons posted at Of Ships & Surgeons, saying, "I'm particularly proud of this one--the story is, I think, compelling, compellingly sad."
Jonathan Beard presents Berlin Shies Away from Refurbishing Historic Warship at Der Spiegel saying "The Germans have been very, very bad about preserving warships ever since 1945. It seems that defeat took all the wind out of their sails."
Jonathan Beard presents Photo Gallery: How the US Military Simulates Iraq and Afghanistan at Flavor Wire.
That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of the military history carnival using our carnival submission form. The next carnival will be December 1. The submission deadline is November 28. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton