More Noted Things
Karen Abbott, "If There's a Man Among Ye: The Tale of Pirate Queens Anne Bonny and Mary Read," Past Imperfect, 9 August, tells the story of two pirate queens.
François Furstenberg, "Real Estate and the American Revolution," Slate, 15 August, reviews Willard Sterne Randall's Ethan Allen: His Life and Times.
Mary Anastasia O'Grady, "The Lost Century," WSJ, 13 August, reviews Enrique Krauze's Redeemers: Ideas and Power in Latin America.
A Symposium on The Help:
Manohla Dargis, "‘The Maids' Now Have Their Say," NYT, 9 August
Association of Black Women Historians, "An Open Statement to the Fans of The Help"
Valerie Boyd, ""The Help," a feel-good movie for white people," ArtsCriticATL.com, 11 August
Lauren Kientz Anderson, "Anyone seen/read ‘The Help?'" U.S. Intellectual History, 12 August
Tomiko Brown-Nagin, "‘The Help': Historians Criticize an Autobiographical and (A)historical Novel, Legal History, 15 August
David Denby, "Maids of Honor," New Yorker, 16 August
Melissa Harris-Perry, MSNBC
James Wright, "Bearing the Cost of War," Foreign Affairs, 8 August, argues that taxes should have been raised to sustain the cost of wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Wright is, I think, undoubtedly right.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Lives Matter Movement Prods Bethlehem and Other Districts to Review How History is Taught
- During the Civil War, the Enslaved Were Given an Especially Odious Job. The Pay Went to Their Owners.
- Riots Long Ago, Luxury Living Today
- Native Americans and Polynesians Met Around 1200 A.D.
- Campaign Urges NASA to Rename the John C. Stennis Space Center
- Historical Association Schools Teachers on White House History
- MIT Professor Tunney Lee, an Architect, Urban Planner, and Historian of Chinatown, Dies at 88
- Historian Adrian Miller on Denver’s Underrepresented Legacy of Black Culinary Excellence
- ‘If I tell people about what happened, I honor my ancestors.’ How the Pandemic is Helping a Slavery Historian Develop a K-12 Lesson Plan on African-American History
- In Memoriam: Historian and Politician Ivo Banac