Modern History Notes
Eric Foner, "Inhuman Bondage: On Slavery, Emancipation and Human Rights," Nation, 10 August, reviews Robin Blackburn's The American Crucible: Slavery, Emancipation and Human Rights.
Adam Winkler, "The Secret History of Guns," Atlantic, September, recalls a time when supporters of African American civil rights saw the right to bear arms as essential and the National Rifle Association supported modest gun regulation.
Sholto Byrnes for the Independent, 14 August, and Tristram Hunt for the Guardian, 14 August, review Kwasi Kwarteng's Ghosts of Empire: Britain's Legacies in the Modern World. The historian and Conservative MP for Spelthorne challenges Niall Ferguson's and Michael Gove's neo-conservative view of empire.
Paul Mitchinson reviews Raymond Holden's Richard Strauss: A Musical Life for the Washington Post, 11 August.
Julie Salverson, "They Never Told Us These Things," Maisonneuve, 12 August, interviews indigenous people of northwest Canada who worked the mine that supplied much of the uranium for the Manhattan Project. They had no idea how it would be used or how their own health would be affected.
Robert Dallek, "Untold Story of the Bay of Pigs," Newsweek, 14 August, uses newly declassified documents to offer a revised version of the blundered attempt to overthrow Fidel Castro.
comments powered by Disqus
- Do American Indians Celebrate the 4th of July?
- Trump Vows To Veto Defense Bill If It Removes Confederate Names From Military Bases
- Fourth of July: Beer’s Patriotic Connection to the Founding Fathers
- Calls for ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ to be Replaced With a New US National Anthem
- As Young People Drive Infection Spikes, College Faculty Members Fight For The Right To Teach Remotely
- The Day the White Working Class Turned Republican (Review)
- David Starkey Criticised over Slavery Comments
- ‘A Conflicted Cultural Force’: What It’s Like to Be Black in Publishing
- Did Rutgers Find The Perfect President For 2020? Meet Jonathan Holloway, Black Historian.
- In Search of King David’s Lost Empire