Things Noted Here & There
Patricia Cohen, "A Lifetime Quest to Finish a Monumental Encyclopedia of Iran," NYT, 12 August, looks at Ehsan Yarshater's vocation.
Perry Anderson, "From Progress to Catastrophe," LRB, 28 July, tracks the history of the historical novel.
Jonathan Yardley reviews Hugh Thomas's The Golden Empire: Spain, Charles V, and the Creation of America for the Washington Post, 11 August.
Michael Korda, "Fascist Fashionista," Daily Beast, 12 August, reviews Hal Vaughn's Sleeping with the Enemy: Coco Chanel's Secret War. Deborah Solomon, "O'Keeffe and Stieglitz: Intimacy at a Distance," NYT, 12 August, reviews Sarah Greenough, ed., My Faraway One: Selected Letters of Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz: Volume I, 1915-1933. Morris Dickstein, "Growing Pains," Tablet, 11 August, profiles Delmore Schwartz. In "Dreamer," Long Story Short, 11 August, Liel Leibovitz interviews Dickstein about Schwartz.
"50th Anniversary Of The Building Of The Berlin Wall," Der Spiegel, 12 August, is an interactive map and photographic exhibit of before and after images of the wall.
Christian Neef, "The Gorbachev Files," Der Spiegel, 11 August, is four-part article: "Secret Papers Reveal Truth Behind Soviet Collapse," "Did Gorbachev Know about Violent Crackdowns?" "Breaking the Ice with 'Helmut'," and "'We Need Money for Current Expenses'."
Finally, congratulations to Stacy Schiff and to Robert Perkinson of the University of Hawaii, Manoa. Her Cleopatra: A Life and his Texas Tough: the Rise of America's Prison Empire have won the PEN American Center's 2011 awards for biography and nonfiction.
comments powered by Disqus
- Do American Indians Celebrate the 4th of July?
- Trump Vows To Veto Defense Bill If It Removes Confederate Names From Military Bases
- Fourth of July: Beer’s Patriotic Connection to the Founding Fathers
- Calls for ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ to be Replaced With a New US National Anthem
- As Young People Drive Infection Spikes, College Faculty Members Fight For The Right To Teach Remotely
- The Day the White Working Class Turned Republican (Review)
- David Starkey Criticised over Slavery Comments
- ‘A Conflicted Cultural Force’: What It’s Like to Be Black in Publishing
- Did Rutgers Find The Perfect President For 2020? Meet Jonathan Holloway, Black Historian.
- In Search of King David’s Lost Empire