American History Notes
Fergus M. Bordewich, "The Novel That Changed America," WSJ, 24 June, and Andrew Delbanco, "The Impact of ‘Uncle Tom's Cabin'," NYT, 24 June, review David S. Reynolds's Mightier Than The Sword: "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and the Battle for America.
Michael Burlingame, "When Cotton Wasn't King," WSJ, 25 June, and Christopher Dickey, "Union Jacked," Newsweek, 26 June, review Amanda Foreman's A World on Fire: Britain's Crucial Role in the American Civil War
Michael Dirda for the Washington Post, 23 June, and Suzanne Muchnic for the LA Times, 26 June, review Sarah Greenough, ed., My Faraway One. Selected Letters of Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz: Volume One, 1915-1933.
comments powered by Disqus
- An Act of Remembering Native American Children Who Died so Long Ago
- June Willenz, Champion of Women in the Military, Dies at 95
- Remembering Ray Eurquhart, a Lifelong Activist Radicalized in the Military
- 9/11 Families Outraged by 'Massive Coverup’ Linking Saudi Arabian Official to Hijackers
- Charlottesville Official Wants To Revisit Statues’ Removal