We Should not Ignore this One
The more comprehensive as well as the more impartial a Commission charged with studying marijuana use conclusions are, the more likely its report is to be ignored and have no effect on public policy. This occurred with studies by the British in India, the U. S. Army in the Panama Canal Zone, the Mayor of New York, a panel appointed by Richard Nixon, the Canadian Senate, the Dutch government and the Jamaican Parliament despite the fact that their member credentials were unimpeachable. In every one of these cases and many others besides they found that marijuana prohibition caused far more problems than it ameliorated and should be abolished. Yet it still exists and is now being enforced by the Obama Administration with relentless zeal.
Now, The Global Commission on Drug Policy associated with the UN has declared that war against people who use certain kinds of drugs is “a failure and urged nations to consider steps such as legalizing marijuana to help undermine the power of organized crime.” If history repeats itself as it has so many times before we will hear little more about these conclusions and politicians will continue to disregard the truth that drug prohibition is unconstitutional, unjust, racist, destructive, inhumane, expensive, immoral, lethal and benefits no one except busy body moralists, prison guard unions, police swat teams and politicians seeking to fool people into believing they are tough on crime. If the past is any clue to the future, our leaders will continue to enforce these symbolic drug laws violated on a daily basis by millions of people with no harm through simple use to anyone, not even themselves. Therefore the blood on the hands of politicians, commentators, and ordinary citizens who support this horrendous deadly policy will continue to accumulate.
Cross posted on The Trebach Report.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity