20th Century Biography, Part B
Michael O'Donnell reviews Andrew E. Kersten's Clarence Darrow: American Iconoclast for the Barnes & Noble Review, 16 May.
Katherine A. Powers for the Barnes & Noble Review, 11 May, Janet Maslin, "Perched in Berlin With Hitler Rising," NYT, 19 May, and Philip Kerr for the Washington Post, 13 May, review Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin. Erin Chan Ding interviews Larson about his book for the Huffington Post, 16 May.
Avner Shapira, "Monk, mystic, mechanic," Haaretz, 13 May, reviews "Ludwig Wittgenstein: Contextualizations of a Genius," an exhibit at Berlin's Schwules Museum.
Michael Dirda reviews Suzanne Marrs, ed., What There Is to Say We Have Said: The Correspondence of Eudora Welty and William Maxwell for the Washington Post, 19 May.
Sam Tanenhaus, "Harold Bloom: An Uncommon Reader," NYT, 20 May, reviews Bloom's The Anatomy of Influence: Literature as a Way of Life.
Peter Aspden, "Planet Dylan," FT, 20 May, reviews Daniel Mark Epstein's The Ballad of Bob Dylan: A Portrait, Clinton Heylin's Behind the Shades: The 20th Anniversary Edition, Greil Marcus's Bob Dylan: Writings 1968-2010, and Robert Shelton's No Direction Home: The Life and Music of Bob Dylan.
comments powered by Disqus
- A girl named Greta and the seriously sexist history of Time’s Person of the Year
- Poll: Majority of Democrats think Obama was better president than Washington
- Civil War Soldiers Used Hair Dye to Make Themselves Look Better in Pictures, Archaeologists Discover
- Monumental statue of black man defies Confederate monuments
- From Consensus To Deadlock: Is Impeachment Still A Check On Presidents?
- Black Scholars Respond to Dr. Lorgia García Peña Tenure Denial at Harvard
- Historians Kirsten Weld and Erik Baker Interviewed About Harvard Graduate Worker Strike in Chronicle of Higher Education
- Kate Shaw: Andrew Johnson Was Impeached for Being a Racist Demagogue
- Bullets That Killed John F. Kennedy Immortalized as Digital Replicas by Smithsonian
- 37 books for history lovers: 11 Historians Select Their Favorite Books of 2019