Modern History Notes
National Association of Scholars, "The Vanishing West, 1964-2010: The Disappearance of Western Civilization from the American Undergraduate Curriculum" is a study in declension. See also: Kevin Kiley, "Decline of ‘Western Civ'," IHE, 19 March.
Matthew Price, "The Good Fight," bookforum, April/May, reviews Adam Hochschild's To End All Wars: A Story of Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914–1918.
Ianthe Brautigan reviews Ying Ying Chang's The Woman Who Could Not Forget: Iris Chang Before and Beyond The Rape of Nanking for the San Francisco Chronicle, 15 May.
Keith Gessen, "The Gift: Joseph Brodsky and the fortunes of misfortune," New Yorker, 23 May, reviews Lev Loseff's and Jane Ann Miller's Joseph Brodsky: A Literary Life.
Niall Ferguson, "Dr. K's Rx for China," Daily Beast, 17 May, reviews Henry Kissinger's On China.
comments powered by Disqus
- 1619 Project: New York Times Magazine Publishes Special Edition Dedicated to American Slavery and Its Legacies
- National Security Archive Releases New Briefing Book on Chernobyl through the Eyes of the Soviet Politburo, KGB, and U.S. Intelligence
- Before Trump eyed Greenland: Here’s what happened last time the US bought a large chunk of the Arctic
- Illinois Governor Signs Bill Mandating Public Schools Teach LGBTQ History
- Controversial Monument to Women’s Suffrage Redesigned to Include Sojourner Truth
- Historian Elizabeth Hinton Profiled in Harvard Magazine: Color and Incarceration
- 'Clearly, he did not take part in our curriculum': Historians bash Ken Cuccinelli's revised Statue of Liberty Poem
- The Increasing Popularity of Hotel Historians
- If You Call It History, You’ve Got to Do History’: Historians Chafe at a Video That Omitted Their University’s Whites-Only Origins
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum gets grants to help publish Abraham Lincoln papers