Modern History Notes
National Association of Scholars, "The Vanishing West, 1964-2010: The Disappearance of Western Civilization from the American Undergraduate Curriculum" is a study in declension. See also: Kevin Kiley, "Decline of ‘Western Civ'," IHE, 19 March.
Matthew Price, "The Good Fight," bookforum, April/May, reviews Adam Hochschild's To End All Wars: A Story of Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914–1918.
Ianthe Brautigan reviews Ying Ying Chang's The Woman Who Could Not Forget: Iris Chang Before and Beyond The Rape of Nanking for the San Francisco Chronicle, 15 May.
Keith Gessen, "The Gift: Joseph Brodsky and the fortunes of misfortune," New Yorker, 23 May, reviews Lev Loseff's and Jane Ann Miller's Joseph Brodsky: A Literary Life.
Niall Ferguson, "Dr. K's Rx for China," Daily Beast, 17 May, reviews Henry Kissinger's On China.
comments powered by Disqus
- A girl named Greta and the seriously sexist history of Time’s Person of the Year
- Poll: Majority of Democrats think Obama was better president than Washington
- Civil War Soldiers Used Hair Dye to Make Themselves Look Better in Pictures, Archaeologists Discover
- Monumental statue of black man defies Confederate monuments
- From Consensus To Deadlock: Is Impeachment Still A Check On Presidents?
- Black Scholars Respond to Dr. Lorgia García Peña Tenure Denial at Harvard
- Historians Kirsten Weld and Erik Baker Interviewed About Harvard Graduate Worker Strike in Chronicle of Higher Education
- Kate Shaw: Andrew Johnson Was Impeached for Being a Racist Demagogue
- Bullets That Killed John F. Kennedy Immortalized as Digital Replicas by Smithsonian
- 37 books for history lovers: 11 Historians Select Their Favorite Books of 2019