A David Barton Symposium
Between 2005 and 2008, Cliopatria sponsored a series of symposia. Each of them was prompted by an important, often controversial article. Perhaps because of changing internet dynamics, interest in the symposia declined. Symposia about historical issues may now be more spontaneous than staged. The discussion of Erik Eckholm's "Using History to Mold Ideas on the Right," NYT, 4 May, and David Barton's subsequent appearance on the Jon Stewart Show may be a case in point. They prompt a vigorous discussion among these historians:
Tim Lacy, "Myth, History, And David Barton: Required Reading On The New Christian Right," U. S. Intellectual History, 5 May.
Paul Harvey, "Glory Hallelujah: While Barton Marches On, Historians Live to Fight Another Day," Religion in American History, 5 May.
Julie Ingersoll, "Pseudo-Historian David Barton in the Times and on The Daily Show," Religion Dispatches, 5 May.
Rebecca Goetz, "Parson Weems and David Barton--Traveling Salesmen/preachers," Historianess, 6 May.
Claire Potter, "Put A Quarter In, Get History Out: David Barton's American Past," Cliopatria, 6 May.
Randall Stephens, "Not into History," Religion in American History, 7 May.
Yoni Applebaum, "American Scripture: How David Barton Won the Christian Right," Atlantic, 10 May.
John Fea, "Should Christians Trust David Barton?" patheos, 10 May.
Paul Harvey, "Selling the Idea of a Christian Nation: David Barton's Alternate Intellectual Universe," Religion Dispatches, 10 May.
Timothy Burke, "A Word for the Experts," Easily Distracted, 11 May.
Chris Beneke and Randall Stephens, "David Barton and Popular, Politicized History," THS Blog, 12 May.
comments powered by Disqus
- USA Today Publishes New Articles As Part Of Series, "1619: Searching for Answers"
- Washington doesn't have a Latino history museum. These people are hoping to change that
- A history of key United Auto Workers strikes against GM
- Fact-checking Andrew Yang on history of universal basic income
- Hobby Lobby Will Return Biblical Antiquities Allegedly Stolen by Oxford Professor
- Historians Allison Horrocks and Mary Mahoney bring history to life in podcast
- Modern art historian, US museum director and clergyman EA Carmean, Jr has died, age 74
- Historian Andrew David Teaching Impeachment during an Impeachment Inquiry
- Historian Brad Simpson Says He's Never Read a Letter As Unhinged As Trump's To Erdogan
- Academic Twitter's Gender Imbalance