Mr Assad has also exploited the myth of the lonely reformer surrounded by hardliners. Perhaps because Syria is strategically important and plays a role in the significant conflicts in the region, including the standoff with Iran and the Arab-Israeli dispute, the myth has had much following abroad. Even now some officials in western capitals are wondering whether Mr Assad, a British-trained eye doctor married to a glamorous former investment banker, is in control, and whether he might want a different path.
comments powered by Disqus
- Unilateral U.S. nuclear pullback in 1991 matched by rapid Soviet cuts
- More Historians Come Out for Trump
- History lesson horrifies parent: Blacks used to have ‘strong work ethic’ during slavery
- Philippines President Compares Himself To Hitler in Anti-Crime Rant
- U.S. Extradites Baltimore Professor to Rwanda to Stand Trial for Genocide