Mr Assad has also exploited the myth of the lonely reformer surrounded by hardliners. Perhaps because Syria is strategically important and plays a role in the significant conflicts in the region, including the standoff with Iran and the Arab-Israeli dispute, the myth has had much following abroad. Even now some officials in western capitals are wondering whether Mr Assad, a British-trained eye doctor married to a glamorous former investment banker, is in control, and whether he might want a different path.
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"