20th Century Notes
Adam Hochschild, "Where Have All the Graveyards Gone? The War That Didn't End War and Its Unending Successors," Guernica, 3 May, is by the author of To End All Wars: A Story of Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914-1918.
Simon Leys, "The Intimate Orwell," NYRB, 26 May, reviews George Orwell's Diaries, edited by Peter Davison, and George Orwell: A Life in Letters, selected and annotated by Davison.
Richard A. Posner, "The Court of Celebrity," TNR, 5 May, reviews Richard Davis's Justices and Journalists: The U.S. Supreme Court and the Media.
Richard Wolin, "The Humanist," TNR, 5 May, reviews Tzvetan Todorov's The Fear of Barbarians, transl. by Andrew Brown, Todorov's Torture and the War on Terror, transl. by Gila Walker, and Todorov's Duties and Delights: The Life of a Go-Between, transl. by Walker.
David Stelfox, "Modern, streamlined and ambitious: Edward Glaeser's vision of the city," The National, 6 May, reviews Edward Glaeser's Triumph of the City: How Our Greatest Invention Makes Us Richer, Smarter, Greener, Healthier, and Happier.
Ian Morris, "How To Get to the End of History," Slate, 2 May, and Nicholas Wade, "From ‘End of History' Author, a Look at the Beginning and Middle," NYT, 7 May, review Francis Fukuyama's The Origins of Political Order: From Prehuman Times to the French Revolution.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Exhibit Lauded Freedom of Expression. It Was Silenced.
- What 1860 and 1968 can teach America about the 2020 presidential election
- Nevada Sen. Cortez Masto introduces bill to honor women’s suffrage with series of new quarters
- Hillary and Chelsea Clinton are writing their first book together about 'gutsy' women through history
- The Hotel Historian Is at Your Service
- 2 New Podcast Episodes Discuss How the Republican Party became the Party of Trump and CIA "Black Sites"
- ‘Karl Marx: Philosophy and Revolution’ Review: On the Marxist Question
- Tony Platt Reviews Simon Schama’s The Embarrassment of Riches: An Interpretation of Dutch Culture in the Golden Age
- Professor Breaks Down U.S. Racism, Trump’s ‘Ugliness’ In 3 Powerful Minutes
- ‘Charles I's Killers in America’ Review: Regicides on the Run