Things Noted Here & There
Adam Kirsch, "House Divided," Tablet, 3 May, reviews Marc Lee Raphael's The Synagogue in America: A Short History.
Drew Gilpin Faust, "Telling War Stories: Reflections of a Civil War Historian," Humanities, May/June, is her Jefferson Lecture for 2011. Jim Leach, "Drew Gilpin Faust, Daughter of the South, President of Harvard," ibid., interviews her. David W. Blight, "A Historian's Historian," ibid., is Blight's appreciation of Faust.
Ekaterina Loushnikova, "The Last Prisoner," oDRussia: Post-Soviet world, 28 April, interviews Pavel Galitsky, a 100-year-old survivor of 15 years in a Siberian labor camp.
Thomas de Waal, "Chechens I Used to Know," National Interest, May/June, reviews Ilyas Akhmadov's and Miriam Lanskoy's The Chechen Struggle: Independence Won and Lost, German Sadulaev's I am a Chechen!, trans. by Anna Gunin, and Robert W. Schaefer's The Insurgency in Chechnya and the North Caucasus: From Gazavat to Jihad.
Pankaj Mishra reviews Anatol Lieven's Pakistan: A Hard Country for the Guardian, 30 April.
Peniel E. Joseph, "Rescuing Malcolm X From His Calculated Myths," CHE, 1 May, reviews Manning Marable's Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention.
Finally, farewell to the distinguished British military historian, Richard Holmes.
comments powered by Disqus
- A girl named Greta and the seriously sexist history of Time’s Person of the Year
- Poll: Majority of Democrats think Obama was better president than Washington
- Civil War Soldiers Used Hair Dye to Make Themselves Look Better in Pictures, Archaeologists Discover
- Monumental statue of black man defies Confederate monuments
- From Consensus To Deadlock: Is Impeachment Still A Check On Presidents?
- Black Scholars Respond to Dr. Lorgia García Peña Tenure Denial at Harvard
- Historians Kirsten Weld and Erik Baker Interviewed About Harvard Graduate Worker Strike in Chronicle of Higher Education
- Kate Shaw: Andrew Johnson Was Impeached for Being a Racist Demagogue
- Bullets That Killed John F. Kennedy Immortalized as Digital Replicas by Smithsonian
- 37 books for history lovers: 11 Historians Select Their Favorite Books of 2019