Underage Drinking and Zero Tolerance
This is my first hit on the WaPo op-ed page, so I'm kinda ' jazzed.
comments powered by Disqus
Steven Horwitz - 8/9/2005
A good column indeed and I strongly agree with the general thrust of it. I do have one caveat though. You equate "adult supervision" with "taking the car keys." Taking the keys is, of course, crucial, but alcohol can injure and kill even without a car involved. I would hope that parents doing the "supervising" are also making sure that kids are not engaging in high-risk forms of drinking that can and do lead to hospitalization and death.
I'm ALL for parents allowing, if not encouraging, the responsible use of alcohol by teenagers (the current law is ridiculous), but preventing them from driving is not the only form of responsibility needed.
Keith Halderman - 8/9/2005
Excellent column, I could not agree with you more. I think America would be a much better place to live if the police were more like Andy Taylor instead of the armed and vicious nannies that we have now.
David T. Beito - 8/9/2005
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges