Lapsing into Autocracy?
Clearly, some autocratic countries become democratic briefly, and then lapse back into some form of autocracy. The Weimar republic lasted from 1919 to 1933, for example, before Hitler effectively abrogated the constitution. However, I can't think of any case, in the modern era, of a multi-generational democracy that has ever reverted back. For example, Britain managed to lose an entire empire without ever any serious threat to its status as a democratic country. Britain and the US made it through two world wars and a great depression without losing their democratic status. Indeed the US managed to fight a civil war with itself, without either side actually giving up on the democratic form of governance.
So my question is this: what is the longest period that a country has been a democracy, and then reverted to some non-democratic form of government? Let's confine it to the post-industrial revolution era.
comments powered by Disqus
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- How the Primaries are Rigged Against Sanders
- Carson Sees Fundraising Resurgence
- Trump Has GOP Mega Donors Frozen
- Quote of the Day
- Top GOP Candidates Haven’t Released Tax Returns
- Trump Attack Ads Finally Begin
- Super PACs Gear Up for Clinton
- Cruz App Mines Data from Your Phone
- Trump Way Ahead in South Carolina
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges