Idea of Liberty
Just a thought.
comments powered by Disqus
Kenneth R Gregg - 8/6/2005
You're certainly welcome, Wendy.
There has been a growing interest in Martineau in the past couple of years and am more than happy to reprint this essay. Martineau is one of the unrecognized founders of sociology. Her book on August Comte's sociology is well recognized as one of the founding works in the field, and Comte was so impressed with it that he reprinted it into french for his European followers! She made the 3 vol. work of Comte into a coherent whole, integrating many disparate ideas of his into one of the most popular works in sociology. Had she been able to provide for herself and her family in academia, perhaps sociology would be classical liberal rather than a pesthole of socialism!
Just a thought.
Wendy McElroy - 8/3/2005
Wonderful, Ken. Thanks so much for bringing this jewel into public view.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Newly released interactive map shows images of destroyed monuments of Mosul
- How the Rise of the Post Office Explains American Innovation
- These Americans are reliving history and don’t mind repeating it
- Britain largest home is saved for the nation
- Shelter and the slums: capturing bleak Britain 50 years ago
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't
- Princeton U. historian Imani Perry claims mistreatment in parking ticket arrest
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history