INTERFAITH CHRISTMAS/HANUKKAH MUSIC
The melody for the quintessential Hannukah song - Maoz Tsur (Rock of Ages)is taken from a German folk song first utilized by Luther.
Woody Gutheri also wrote some Hannukah songs:
And now Senator Oren Hatch hit the jackpot.
I cannot imagine any downside to this type of interfaith collaboration. Still, Jews who write Christmas songs emphasize its non religious aspects. To honor my Christian friends who like to emphasize the religious one, here is this year's Cinderella - the number on record seller in both Britain and the US in a song not written by Jews.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Anthropocene epoch: scientists declare dawn of human-influenced age
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- NYT publishes historians' plea for the revival of political history
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum