A Salute to Phyllis Dintenfass
For more commentary, please see McBlog
comments powered by Disqus
Brian Radzinsky - 7/27/2005
Overall, you're right. Just because your space has been invaded it doesn't mean that you have the right to respond with the same action. However, more importantly, I think, is Ms McElroy's final statement. "When the government swats a fly with a laser blast, then you know it is trying to enforce an entirely unreasonable law or policy." Instead of trying to quash all resistence to these draconian (and ineffective) measures, a resonable court would have considered this an act of civil disobedience and given the punishment that fit the crime.
I'm not saying her actions weren't justifiable or brave, but they probably weren't optimal. Still, she should not have gotten the punishment she got.
Jon Robins - 7/27/2005
She did invade another's personal space. Not quite the MLK Jr model of passive resistance, now is it?
Is it okay to hit a cop just because they're illegally searching you? Nope.
Max Swing - 7/27/2005
And I thought such stupid superiority of the federal agents is only on show in Germany (knowing we are all more statists here in Germany). Brave old lady, however! It's a real shame that she has to go to court for such a display of (one could say) satire.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity