Dozens of rescuers killed in Israeli fire As usual in Israel, leaders go first. Haifa Police Chief critically injured Minutes after being interviewed, Deputy Commander Ahuva Tomer drove behind the bus of prison guard trainees that caught fire. They came to help evacuate a prison and their bus was engulfed in a fast moving fire wall. Many tried to escape but were quickly engulfed by another fire wall.
I grew up in this area. Planted treas and picknicked in"Little Switzerland" that is gone. Haifa University has been evacuated. Mount Carmel goes from Green to Black
And it was man made! Two arrested for one of a series of copycat fires lit all around northern Israel. No chance for rain but the winds are increasing and the smoke is felt throughout the region.
Intenational response is wonderful - PM thanks Erdogan for airplanes to battle Carmel fire Turkish and Greek fight the fire together. Bulgaria is there as is Jordan. Putin is sending two giant planes and a helicopter.
Yes, Greeks are helping on Hanukkah (a holiday celebrating Maccabee defeat of the Greek army. Ironic.
Steven Plaut with the Bulgarian firefighters in The Mt. Carmel Inferno
JPost editors say Thank you for those who helped. Jews are supposed to start the day with Mode Ani (I am grateful). Emphasis on gratefulness may be one of the reasons for Jewish resiliency.
Unfortunately, Palestinian powers that be are yet to learn to say thank you. They incite, instead.
comments powered by Disqus
- Smithsonian launches campaign to raise $10 million for women’s history initiative
- Trump Was Not Always So Linguistically Challenged
- 75th anniversary of the World War 2 black uprising that the American public never heard about
- Longest serving governor in U.S. history to resign after confirmation as Trump's ambassador to China
- Did the First Human Ancestor Emerge in Europe, Not Africa?
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?