Fred Kaplan,"The emancipation of Honest Abe," Washington Post, 26 November, reviews Eric Foner's The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery.
Judith Shulevitz,"Samuel Clemens' Secret," Slate, 23 November, reviews Harriet E. Smith, ed., Autobiography of Mark Twain; and Geoffrey C. Ward,"A Headlong Life," NYT, 26 November, reviews Edmund Morris's Colonel Roosevelt.
James Woudhuysen,"When Churchill starved India," Spiked Review of Books, 26 November, reviews Madhusree Mukerjee's Churchill's Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India During World War II.
Joshua Rubenstein,"The Devils' Playground," NYT, 26 November, reviews Timothy Snyder's Bloodlands: Europe between Hitler and Stalin; and Geoffrey Wheatcroft,"Path of Least Resistance," NYT, 26 November, reviews Alan Ridings's And The Show Went On: Cultural Life in Nazi-Occupied Paris.
Sheila Fitzpatrick,"A Spy in the Archives," LRB, 2 December, recalls her first experience doing research in Moscow.
George Packer,"Dead Certain," New Yorker, 29 November, reviews George W. Bush's Decision Points.
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges