Support the Andrews Amendment
The communication contained a link for contacting my congressman and as faithful readers of this column know I usually include my own beginning to these pre-written e-mails, which I have posted below.
Dear Congressman Wynn
So far, you have been very good on issues concerning the war on people who use certain kinds of drugs and even though I am a Libertarian I am seriously considering voting for you in the next election. However, if you cannot see how this ugly ban on financial aid for students with drug convictions is a punishment solely reserved for people of limited means and therefore unfair and un-American then I will not be able to support you.
On the other hand, if you could recognize how this war on ourselves is costing enormous amounts of resources better used elsewhere; if you could understand the immorality of punishing vices as though they were crimes; if you could know that the war on people who use certain kinds of drugs is the most racist institution that we have in American society today; if you could realize that there are dozens of reasons, tens of thousands of stories, and a mountain of empirical data which testify to the vast harm done by drug prohibition then maybe you could stand up with me and ever growing number of people who agree with me, saying loudly this evil policy must change!
If you could do that then I would proudly pull the lever for you because you would be one of the very few congressmen doing their job, representing the people instead of the bureaucracy.
comments powered by Disqus
- Priests race to save manuscripts from jihadists in Iraq
- Where Mud Is Archaeological Gold, Russian History Grew on Trees
- Conflict Uncovers a Ukrainian Identity Crisis Over Deep Russian Roots
- Heirs Claim Bank Made Off with Nazi-Looted Art
- Stanley Kutler’s book on Nixon Watergate abuses has been turned into a show on the web
- China bans books by pro-Hong Kong historian who retired from Princeton
- George Mason's digital history program is 20 years old -- and celebrating