My 91 year old mother celebrated her birthday in the hospital. Actually, it was not much of a celebration. She did not know it was her birthday and we found nothing to celebrate. In the past year she has gone in and out of the hospital every few weeks. Her mind is gone but the doctors are determined to hold on to her pretty much inert body.
There is nothing unique in her fate. Modern medicine makes it very difficult to die. This psalm is dedicated to her and to all those who share her and our family's predicament. We must find a way to do better.
comments powered by Disqus
- Veteran Congressman Still Pushing for Reparations in a Divided America
- Hitler's phone, 'the most destructive 'weapon' of all time,' sold for $243,000
- NYT features fascinating story about Ford’s fantasyland in Brazil
- Mark Zuckerberg issues manifesto on the future of Facebook that rests on insights of Israeli historian Yuval Harari
- Migration To Americas Came in Waves, According to Big Data
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans