My 91 year old mother celebrated her birthday in the hospital. Actually, it was not much of a celebration. She did not know it was her birthday and we found nothing to celebrate. In the past year she has gone in and out of the hospital every few weeks. Her mind is gone but the doctors are determined to hold on to her pretty much inert body.
There is nothing unique in her fate. Modern medicine makes it very difficult to die. This psalm is dedicated to her and to all those who share her and our family's predicament. We must find a way to do better.
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)