My 91 year old mother celebrated her birthday in the hospital. Actually, it was not much of a celebration. She did not know it was her birthday and we found nothing to celebrate. In the past year she has gone in and out of the hospital every few weeks. Her mind is gone but the doctors are determined to hold on to her pretty much inert body.
There is nothing unique in her fate. Modern medicine makes it very difficult to die. This psalm is dedicated to her and to all those who share her and our family's predicament. We must find a way to do better.
comments powered by Disqus
- The six-day war: why Israel is still divided over its legacy 50 years on
- "Space archaeology" transforms how ancient sites are discovered
- A military cemetery whose African American history is hidden in plain sight in Philadelphia
- Texas Senate increases education board's textbook veto power
- The Secret Transcripts of the Six-Day War
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?
- What's the 'greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history’?