IRANIAN STONING ART
While allowing for the death penalty in some hypothetical circumstances, scholars of Judaism are broadly opposed to the death penalty as practiced in the modern world. The Jewish opposition is not based on a literal reading of the Jewish Bible, but rather through the lens of Judaism's Oral Law.
Forty years before the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem in 70 CE, i.e. in 30 CE, the Sanhedrin effectively abolished capital punishment. As God alone was deemed to be the only arbiter in the use of capital punishment, not fallible people, the Sanhedrin made it a hypothetical upper limit on the severity of punishment.
Muslim scholars are well versed in similar prevarications but Islamists are shunning them in this as in other cases. So far, even leftists have not bought in to this particular"anti-Western, anti-colonialist" act of"defiance."
Let's hope they do not change their mind and justify the stoning of women in the same manner that some leftists justify Sati, the burning alive of women, not to mention female genital mutilation while opposing the cheapest and most effective way of reducing the spread of AIDs - male circumcision.
In the meantime, I can think of nothing better than artists using their special talents of presenting the horror involved. Below is a photo of a satire on the subject
comments powered by Disqus
- A New Target for Old Spies: Congress
- Antigua and Barbuda Asks Harvard University for Slavery Reparations
- Historian: Nixon DID contest the 1960 election
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades