Quotes of the Day
—Duncan Hunter (R-CA), Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, yesterday on Meet the Press.
"[I]n that simple phrase," observes my mentor and fellow H.N.N. blogger Chris Matthew Sciabarra,"Hunter has summarized one of the crucial constructivist principles at the foundation of the Bush administration's stated neo-Wilsonian initiative in the Middle East."
—Harry Truman, on Tom Clark, who he appointed to the Supreme Court and who later voted against his seizure of the steel industry to avert a strike.
Postscript (7/5/05): “Everyone has a right to be stupid, but Comrade Macdonald abuses the privilege.”
—Leon Trotsky, reportedly referring to the New York intellectual Dwight Macdonald.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools