Quotes of the Day
—Duncan Hunter (R-CA), Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, yesterday on Meet the Press.
"[I]n that simple phrase," observes my mentor and fellow H.N.N. blogger Chris Matthew Sciabarra,"Hunter has summarized one of the crucial constructivist principles at the foundation of the Bush administration's stated neo-Wilsonian initiative in the Middle East."
—Harry Truman, on Tom Clark, who he appointed to the Supreme Court and who later voted against his seizure of the steel industry to avert a strike.
Postscript (7/5/05): “Everyone has a right to be stupid, but Comrade Macdonald abuses the privilege.”
—Leon Trotsky, reportedly referring to the New York intellectual Dwight Macdonald.
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)