Quotes of the Day
—Duncan Hunter (R-CA), Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, yesterday on Meet the Press.
"[I]n that simple phrase," observes my mentor and fellow H.N.N. blogger Chris Matthew Sciabarra,"Hunter has summarized one of the crucial constructivist principles at the foundation of the Bush administration's stated neo-Wilsonian initiative in the Middle East."
—Harry Truman, on Tom Clark, who he appointed to the Supreme Court and who later voted against his seizure of the steel industry to avert a strike.
Postscript (7/5/05): “Everyone has a right to be stupid, but Comrade Macdonald abuses the privilege.”
—Leon Trotsky, reportedly referring to the New York intellectual Dwight Macdonald.
comments powered by Disqus
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- CIA: “Pinochet personally ordered” Letelier bombing
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history